Looking for advice..pls

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. A short background I have had stiffness and joint problems swelling in feet hands and nice my quality of living is suffering when it comes to playing with my kids physical activities. My rheumatologist prescribed methotre I am currently on a list for otezla I have been researching these medications and I am extremely nervous I'm not sure that this disease affects my quality of life enough to be taking these medications the side effects seem overwhelming I have currently had them in my possession for over a week. Should i take them or is their an alternative.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I can imagine you are scared however I'm sure taken this medication early will prevent long term damage of this condition, I'm not an expert in this field so I'm sure someone will message you soon with better advice, hope you get good results if you do decide to go ahead 😊

• Posted

Hi Eric,

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you but not yet been to rhumy yet. I'm currently on a list of pain meds as long as my arm but still struggling with the pain. I've spent over 2 years on these pain meds and currently taking 24 pills a day. I like yourself am very dubious and scared about what new pills meds will be prescribed as I also have a young family of 3 all under 6 to keep happy and have lots of physical fun family time.

From most of what I gather on here the pain meds make the quality of life much better with some people being on them over 20 years and feel just like normal with no pain.

I'm personally looking forward to getting my life back after 2 years of sheer hell and constant agony I hope you make the right decision and enjoy your time with your children

• Posted

Thanks for the time to reply.. you just reminded me that maybe im focusing too much on myself. I should be enjoying the time with my family above all.. they do grow up so fast... Good luck and prosperity to you and you family. By the way i am going to try the medication
    • Posted

I'm glad your going to give it a go, let us j ow how you get on, good luck 😊

• Posted

Hi Ericboss777

As you will find we all had the same reservations about these medications, unless you try them you will not know if you will have any side effects, I have been on Sulfasalazine and Methatrexate without any side effects at all, I am now on Cimzia so far so good, One thng you can be assured of is your PSA will not go away and more than like get worse especially if not treated, the treatment will only slow it down as you will know there is no cure. The longer you leave it the more damage will occure which will in the long run give you more problems. My advise is try the meds see how you go. 

Best of luck 

• Posted

Thanks...after reading all the replies i have gotten i have made up my mind.. thanks again for taking the time to respond. It means a lot
    • Posted

your more than welcome, good thing about this group is your not alone we all been there got the T shirt etc 
  • Posted

Hi,

When i was first diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis I was very hesitant about going on methotrexate, but as the knees were not getting better, more painful, I decided to give methotrexate a try, much to my advantage, after a few months more active knees less painful. I was on methotrexate for a couple of years or so, as I was now leading a active life, I was taken off the drug, I was fine for about 7years until I had a tumble 13 months ago, the the arthritis flare up again. I was given injections this time, which lasted about 10 weeks, had a second lot of injections, which did nothing. I got an appoinment with the rheumatologist and asked to go on methotrexate, I have only been on it 7 weeks, but can feel a slight improvment, I feel better in myself, feel as though i'm getting somewhere, after a year of being indoors or taken out in a wheelchair. I know these drugs do not suit everyone, but I think its worth given it a try. I wish you well.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the positive reinforcement... i really appreciate it... i hope you're feeling better everyday..

• Posted

I have had this condition now for over thirty years and I am unable to take DMARD medications or Biologics, the former has caused many severe side effects so I was discharged from the Rhumi Clinic.

If you have been given a drug, give it a try and see how you go.

I am not familiar with the drug you mentioned above Otezla. I would be interested regards this medication

BOB

• Posted

Hi, I have had psor arthritis for 37 years! I am now 57, and now thinkin of a knee replacement and have major foot disfigurement. I have been on metho for a short time years back for fear of side effects. The damage is now done. Now I have recently 2 months ago started metho again and otezla! I have gotten releif from my swelling and stiffness and skin cleared but have just stopped otezla for the 3rd and final time in 2 months due to headaches and dizzyness. Otezla really bothered my head. Everyone is different and drugs effect different but i would suggest some treatment to prevent joint damage as i said my knees are shot!I treated my illness with celebrex and indocin for 30 years! good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.