Looking for answers about heart issues for my wife

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I am looking for some information regarding my wife because well, I am fearful for whats happening to her, and we are not seeming to get any answers quite yet. My hope is someone has either encountered or gone through this and can give some clarity and hope. Here are the details that I have that may help with my question, please bare with me.

My wife is a 36 years old, petite, can't say she is extremely active. Stressful life with work and kids in the same house at the same time. On Friday of last week she was having chest pain that had been going on for a few days now. She said the pain was under her left breast, to the center of her upper chest and she could feel the pain in her armpit. Her BP was 160/100 and pulse was at 124, we went to the ER. The EKG and blood tests did not show a Heart Attack, clots, or any levels to show a cardiovascular event. While in the ER, her BP would not drop lower than 158/98 and her pulse stated between 120 and 95, rarely dropping. They sent us home and ordered an Echo. She did the echo and had an appt. today for follow up. There was nothing significant on the Echo to raise concern other than some PVC's, her BP at the Dr. was 146/98 and pulse stayed around 113. The Dr. is consulting with the cardiologist and some other Dr.'s but for now they are looking into her adrenal glands to see if there is somthing happening there. They don't want to throw BP meds and pulse lowering meds at her just yet...

So here is where I'm freaking out a bit...I mean, its my wife and I don't want anything to be wrong here. Having a pulse like that consistently can't be good, let alone that Blood Pressure right??? I mean, when she is sitting down and relaxed, which isn't always possible her pulse gets down to the mid-low 90's, rarely high 80's. Anyone have any help or insight here? I really appreciate the responses in advance, thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello logjam and sorry to hear about the troubles with your wife. A normal echocardiogram is a good thing, that means that structurally her heart is normal and there's no issues or signs of a ongoing disease process.

It is possible for stress or a anxiety issue or disorder can cause affects to our hearts as you mentioned there is a stressful environment. And couple that with a lack of substantial or normal exercise that could put this down to several less than frightening causes.

I personally deal with health related and to a lesser extent generalized anxiety and have seen a notable difference since I've began treatment for that. As well, I suffer from white coat syndrome or fear of the doctors and that can cause a substantial raise in vital signs in those it affects.

Hopefully it will turn out to be a easy fix and I would emplore you and her to try to worry about it as little as possible in the meantime.

Goodluck

• Posted

Is it possible to go somewhere else, another hospital, doctor ?
    • Posted

They are putting her on a 48 hour holter to see what they can see
  • Posted

I echo Jeff's recommendation that you get a second opinion, without getting her worried or stressed. While the medical profession seem to be 'happy' with a pulse below 100 you wife's constant rapid rate given her age/weight seems unusual. Are you in the UK?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.