Looking for any ideas and support around pain management for severe endometriosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

This week has been a bad week. I am just having some break through bleeding and it feels like I have daggers on my insides. Walking hurts, being in a car hurts, and the pain is traveling down my legs. I want to be at work so badly but I came home to get my heating bad and pain medication. I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with pain management that does not involve taking medicaton and how people deal with the guilt of missing so much work. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried the Endo Diet?  It may help with inflammation and estrogen levels, which contribute to our pain.
    • Posted

You cut one of these things out of your diet for 2-3 weeks, reintroduce it, and see how you feel.  Then cut out another. And another.  And another.  Helps some gals.  Not all.  But if any of these foods are hurting you, this is how you find out.

Wheat : contains gluten and phytic acid, which can aggravate symptoms of Endometriosis

Soy products : mimics and increases estrogen levels

Red Meat : causes increased inflammation and hurts digestion (also may contain crazy amounts of hormones)

Eggs : hormones

Refined sugars (including juices and sodas) : causes inflammation and further aggravates symptoms of Endometriosis (I can’t cut this out ’cause it’s everywhere, but I do make a conscious effort to cut back…)

Caffeine : causes abdominal cramps and increases estrogen levels

Chocolate : contains sugars and caffeine

Dairy : causes inflammation (also may contain crazy amounts of hormones)

Alcohol : muddies up the liver (I haven’t cut this out, but I have drastically reduced.  I no longer drink beer and only enjoy 1 or 2 glasses of wine when I do drink)

Eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies.  High fiber diets are good to keep your body cleansed, liver healthy, and estrogen levels stable.

I've learned that gluten doesn't bother me.  Red meat and dairy are HORRIBLE for my symptoms.  I still eat some soy (soy sauce) but have cut out my favorite (edamame).  I also eat eggs.

Some gals swear that grass fed/organic red meat and dairy products treat them just fine when non-grass fed/organic messes them up.

It's a fun process.  And may help.

• Posted

Thank you SO much for this information! It seems like it would be hard. I already eat a lot of veggies and fruits but I love almost everything else on this list so I can't imagine it's easy. I love dairy so much but at this point I am willing to try anything at all. This has been one of the worst experiences. 
    • Posted

Hang in there.

And do a little bit at a time, that way you can really gauge what you're reacting to.

I miss my dairy SO very much.

But have learned to enjoy coconut milk instead of regular milk, a "butter" made from plant oils rather than dairy, sorbet instead of ice cream.  Sometimes I cheat and have a slice of pizza or a grilled cheese sandwich...and pay for it dearly.  Not only are my bowels angry, but I'm in a lot of pain the next day.  So not worth it.

And I've also learned to love ground turkey and turkey burgers and turkey dogs instead of hamburger.  

You'll find your alternatives.  Please keep us posted here if any of the dietary changes seem to help, and what they are. smile

I'm sorry you're going through some sh*tty experiences, too.  <3>

• Posted

Such an interesting read. Been having a rough week this week so husband treated me to steak for dinner last night (one of my favourites) and he said 'good for your iron levels'.

Would never of thought it may be aggrovating my symptoms.

Crazy. New to this and seems like so much to learn

• Posted

It's awesome.  Do some research.  Take it easy.  Ease it out of your diet, and back into your diet. See how you feel. smile 
    • Posted

I agree I have been told my iron stores are getting low so to have iron supplements etc so my husband suggested we eat more red meat.  Can't say it made me really bad but I did notice some effects - could that have been related?  Not sure but this is certainly worth thinking about.  I may well have a go.
    • Posted

Is there a link to this diet anywhere?  Interested in giving it a go perhaps to see if it helps.
    • Posted

I can't post links in a forum here or my post will be deleted.  I'll send you a PM smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.