Looking for experiences with a D & C for abnormal peri bleeding

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am going through late perimenopause now and because I am having bleeding sometimes twice a month, my gynecologist suggested a hysteroscopy and D&C. I also have a uterine polyp, fibroids and adenomyosis, all of which can contribute to irregular bleeding.

I would love to hear any experiences women have had with a D&C.

Does it scar the cervix or uterus? Does it even work to control bleeding?

Any feedback is appreciated.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have googled it, and found a layman's terminology that might help, at NHS Choices. This site won't let me post a link, and it won't let me copy and paste the article, but it is a good place to get some answers.
  • Posted

I would get the hysterectomy as a LAST resort...There are thousands of surgeries that are preformed each year on women who do not need them particulary hysterectomies. I would get a 2nd or 3rd professional opinion if I were you. Having a hysterectomy is serious business! and my husband is a nurse and Ph.D. keeps me updated on these things and I am glad to pass them along to others to try to help others. I would say go ahead and get a D&C but do not get the hysterectomy unless you have to. Put it off as long as you can. Good luck!  
  • Posted

Ignore Freelance writer, she misread your post.  I too had a late menopause which morphed into post menopausal bleeding, I had three hysteroscopys, having a tight shut cervix I had them under a GA.  During it your surgeon uses a camera to see the inside of the womb and will scrape away any thickening and send it off for tests.  They will also be able to determine the size of your ovaries, although they can't see them directly.  As with me hopefully your tests will come back showing nothing worse than a proliferating endometrium, although it may be your fibroid causing trouble. The procedure is no problem at all, not under a GA anyway lol, and the tests very precise so I'd go for it, good luck.
    • Posted

helen, funny you should mention proliferating endometrium. I had an endometrial biopsy several months ago and the pathology report said I had a "proliferative-type endometrium." When I looked up proliferative- type endometrium it said it ws a term they use for post menopausal women. I am not in menopause yet so it was a little concerning to me but my gyno said it was fine.

So the hysteroscopy determines where they will scrape or does the D&C just scrape the whole uterus blindly?

• Posted

A D&C is just a blind scrape, I had one 30 years ago after a miscarriage.  A hysteroscopy is the gold standard treatment because they can see everything and scrape/remove thickening, polyps etc. which can then be thoroughly tested.  My gynae showed me pics of my womb, really fascinating, I could see the holes that led off to my tubes!  If you get the OK after this you can rest easy, for a few months anyway.  This menopause lark is a struggle isn't it.
    • Posted

So my D&C results are in. Turns out I have simple and complex endometrial hyperplasia with a single microscopic 1mm spot of complex atypia hyperplasia. This is a precancer.

Although not the news I was hoping for, I am glad I did the D&C because 3 months ago my endometrial biopsy did not pick up any of this!

My choices are megace (progesterone therapy) for 3 months and then another D&C or laparoscopic hystectomy.

I am going for the hysterectomy because megace doesn't always solve the problem and I can't live my life wondering if my hyperplasia came back or turned to cancer, especially since there is already a tiny atypia sitting there.

Plus, sometimes the pathology says hyperplasia but they find cancer in post hysterectomy pathology.

I am 55 and have had way too many uterine problems in my life and just want to end it already. I am going to take the BRCA test which will help determine if ovaries should come out too. Any thoughts on ovary removal? Pros are less of a worry about getting ovarian cancer, cons are heart disease, abrupt menopause, osteoporosis and even lung cancer.

• Posted

Sorry the results were a bit mixed, but you are doing exactly what I would under your circumstances, have it all out and be done with it.  It is such a relief not having to worry about bleeding anymore believe me.  Re ovaries I would say be guided by your gyn but I would have thought they would say out, if they did find cancer later they might have to go back for them which would not be fun. 
  • Posted

Also, you must be close to being through the menopause by now, maybe you, like me, were through it, and just having PMB, but without a year's gap so you couldn't tell.  In any case ERT is now thought to be less harmful than HRT.
    • Posted

I haven't even started menopause and I'm 55! I was having regular periods, sometimes two, until August 22 of this year. September, no period and D&C was on Oct 2nd. I think the D&C halts the periods for a while?

I suspect the hyperplasia is from too many years of estrogen circulating without a break.

What I learned from this experience is listen to your body and don't give up until your problem is diagnosed. My first gynecologist kept telling me the bleeding was from perimenopause and fibroids (which it could be for many women) but I knew something was wrong and switched doctors. My second doctor took my concerns seriously and did the biopsy and D&C.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.