Looking for home remedy for Bartholin cyst that's growing slowly but surely

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Ladies

I've been reading about some very distressing experiences that many of you have been having...and hoping that my Bartholin Cyst won't turn out to be like these. I wonder if anyone has had any success in getting rid of a Bartholin cyst that's not abscessed. I've had it for a couple of years and its growth plateaued for a while and now just keeps getting steadily bigger. I've read some curious blogs where people think that their cysts might be psychosomatic. Does anyone have any idea whether this can be the case? It would make sense as I can't find a single physical cause listed so far.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I'm glad you wrote this as it sounds like we're in similar situations. I've had my cyst for just over a year now. Though it started off as a soft external swelling that would come and go, it's now a constant and hard internal lump that's not really visible but palpable when I press in the area of the gland. It hasn't ever abscessed, generally isn't painful (except when pressed hard) and has remained fairly constant in size (1-2cm). However, sexual arousal makes it swell up and it also seems to get a bit bigger during menstruation.

The consultant gynaecologist recommended marsupialisation, but I'm scared to go down this route as I've read so many horror stories online and I understand the chances of reoccurence are quite high. So I've been trying alternative and home remedies. To answer your question, I'm afraid I've not had any luck so far. sad I started seeing a homeopathist earlier this year - she initially prescribed me silica (30C), which did seem to help for a few months but then stopped working. The other remedies she's given me (e.g. nat mur, lyc) have been ineffective. For the last 10 days I've been having hot sitz baths several times a day (with table salt/dead sea salt, lavender oil and tea tree oil) and taking Serrapeptase tablets (1 x 250,000iu tablet a day). Neither have had any obvious effect yet, though I guess it is early days. I read about hot compresses and topical remedies but I'm not sure how those would work for me given that my cyst is internal.

I feel like I'm at my wit's end and am getting really down about it. Having had no luck with the alternative remedies so far, I'm now wondering whether I should just opt for the marsupialisation and hope for the best. I'm fearful that the cyst is going to grow bigger and possibly abscess without intervention, particularly if I become sexually active (I wasn't when the cyst appeared and haven't been in the year since then).

As for whether Bartholin's cysts are psychosomatic, I'm also really interested in this question because mine came on during a period of life change when I was feeling very stressed/low. I also developed IBS symptoms around the same time. I am a very anxious person who gets quite worked up over things.

Sorry if this reply isn't as upbeat as you were hoping for, but hopefully it's helpful in some way and maybe others will have more positive experiences to share with us both! Wishing you lots of luck in beating this. You are definitely not alone! smile

• Posted

Thanks lots for your reply. It's good to know I'm not feeling alone in this, as I know noone else who's had one or even heard of one! The GP told me that even if I go ahead with whichever rather strange sounding procedure they offer, a recurrence is highly likely.

It looks like you really have tried a lot of options. I can't afford acupuncture so I'm thinking about looking up reflexology.

• Posted

hey lisa one suffere here too .I will possibly try marsupilation it may come again ( my doctor said it has never happened to him thought and so did another one) but medicine statistics show it does . i try to avoid excition i thing it will hurt my feelings so much it surely affect my sexuality only because of it. anyway my advice is find the best doctor you trust even if you have to go to 10 of them .And mine said that it must be very big so the opening is big and doesnt close to be successful . i have read a lot of good strories about marsupilation. many wishes and keep your smile big 
  • Posted

Hey! Do try acupuncture! I had a bartolins cyst for a year. After my first treatment it had almost vanished and then after 3 it was completely gone. I've had several maintenance appointments since. And I am so happy with the result. Might be a better option than surgery. In my case my cyst did correspond with a particularly stressful time in my life.
    • Posted

Thanks for the tip. It's really interesting to hear that acupuncture worked for you as I was looking up Traditional Chinese Medicine just a few days ago and wondering if it might be worth a shot. How did they treat you? I presume they didn't needle around the cyst itself?! Were you prescribed any herbs alongside the acupuncture?
    • Posted

Hey Lisa! The acupuncture I received was from a TCM doctor. She needled maridian points on my hands , ankles. She also suggested I take an adreanal support. To help my body recover from the stress I had been experiencing. Also recommended I change up my diet to include more steamed or cooked veggies. I reccommend talking to your TCM because im sure everyone is different!
    • Posted

Thank you! That's really helpful. I'll look into it.
  • Posted

Hey neia .I have the same problem . I went to a gyno and said that this is because of sex ! she was silly anyway she didnt believe me that i was in pain because she said it was small at the time and i should fell ok but that i was stressfull .

anyway for my case i knew something went wrong the last time i had sex before it i felt dry at some point and it was very strange . so maybe this is when it blocked . but i have read may stories that even young girls with no activity get it so i dont know.

i am thinking of taking an hormone test because i had some strange pain at my breast before it  that i never had before and i was feeling something wasnt going well with my body . 

• Posted

Sorry that things seem to be feeling wrong in your body. My GP never mentioned it being to do with sex - she said that there is currently no known cause. I've heard some people have great results for breast pain with evening primrose oil. Does it happen at certain times of the month?
    • Posted

hey neia ! hope you are fine .it happens before my period but only lately . It is not a problem compared to the pain of the cysts .Thank you for your advice .

The other doctor i went also didnt give me a cause why it happens .I have had  constant pain for 4 months .very intense at the 2 weeks of absess ( it has absessed 2 times) i can handle pain but i am so afraid i will not get back to normal sex life . even if i do the surgery (excition) the doctor told me that i may feel numbness afterward . You are lucky if you get no pain try not to disturb it . It didint hurt me before my first gyno cut it .She didnt make it drain completely and mucus was left in so it never got back to normal since . 

I would propose not to wear tight clothes jeans etc .

Maybe yeast infection(candida ) is related so if you can avoid it it would be nice .

Eating yogurt helps with yeast infections as far as i know .

Also strengething your immune system with Vitamins C ,D or E.

I also dont know anyone battling it and i would like so much to know someone who has got over it .

One friend of mine had one while at school she just treated it only with antibiotics .It was a very stressful time for her cause her mother was ill.

She has had no problem at all since .

If you fell fever and guess it is infected go to your doctor . antibiotics are neaded and the surely calm down the situation but not always are the cure .

Please try not to overthink about it .I try not to ( not with a big success though)buy it really helps talking about it with someone who can imagine the situation :D 

• Posted

Hello again

It's interesting that you mention the candida as I seem to be having a constant on-off battle with it. The GP did think that there was a possibility of them being connected but couldn't be specific as to how.

Good idea about the immune support - thanks x

• Posted

Yes neia i am almost sure they are connected i remember i also went to the dentist and told me i had thrush( it can appear on tooth too ) this shows the immune system is weakened . so i battle this and fear for the moment . i went to a doctor and said i shouldnt feel pain sitting because of the cyst implying i may cause it because of my fear . i really dont know what to believe cause three doctros gave me 3 different opinions on operations till now!!!  send you best wishes ! fight and no fear ! 

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

good news for you neia !! i had my second cyst 10 days on medicine (cipro) i had pain sitting for 25 days after i was desperate .i did some sitz baths drank water with apple cinedar one glass per day used levander oil with tee tree .the doctors said it wasnt abscessed but i was in pain . yesterday after 1 hours sitting at work i decided to go out instead of reading again the forums and cry . i went to a bar sit there 4 hours drunk 1 whiskey and 2 beers and at the morning i felt it ! the miracle :D it was relief all over my leg too . i thought it was liquid but it was just the feeling of the nerves that were unclogged . i thought i might start getting crazy and imadine things but later i saw blood and feel much less pain sitting today . i dont know how long it will last and if dispaneuria is still an issue though but i feel much better . do try the sitz baths i only did it for 3 days and didnt believe at all it would work :D and please dont wear tight clothes and avoid shampoo etc in the area use only special for vagina medical cleaning products 
    • Posted

Hi. I'm so glad that things have improved. I hadn't done the sitz baths as I'd seen other people say they hadn't worked. Will give it a go. I hope things continue to get better and then stay that way!
    • Posted

i didnt believe it too . i didnt try so much only 3-4 days . i had a burning pain for 2 days and fever and it burst feel better but i wish i have done a marsup  but my cyst was too small. also it may more difficult to have a goodmarsup after it has burst on its own  . i am not sure just something i read . i have read a lot and as far the conclusion is better to have marsup soon . also if you suffer with pain and anxiety for months you may get depressed . i know i am battling with my limits everyday now .  take care! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.