Looking for some support after ligament surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had surgery 1 week ago on my left ankle. My back ground is that I injured my ankle 18 years ago and never fully recovered; had many moments where it gave way and recurrent sprains. Physio worked for a while, but at the point where I had suffered 3 times in 4 months from recurrent falls I decided I needed further help.

I went private as my dr told me there was nothing further the nhs could do 😔, but after a MRI my consultant saw that my lateral ligaments were damaged and given the problems I was having surgery was the best option.

to be honest I was a little naive when it came to surgery - all I thought about was the end goal; an ankle that could be trusted. I wasn't nervous about the surgery and when I came home last Tuesday I was pretty upbeat.

Then the pain killers wore off.

I didn't realise I would need to inject myself to prevent dvt - not a major issue I know, but it's taken a while to get used to.

I knew I would need to rely on others to help, but oh my goodness I can't do anything for myself! I hate just sitting back and giving orders, while watching things fall apart around me! I had initially thought I would realise the idea of doing nothing, but the reality is I feel so helpless.

But more than all this, I just hadn't prepared myself for the amount of pain would be in. I'm pretty good with pain, I've had two c sections and breezed through them. But oh my goodness this hurts! I thought that by one week post op I would feel better, but I'm still relying on the codeine and even that doesn't take away the pain completely.

Im still nwb, so any trips upstairs to the loo are a mammoth task. Every time my foot isn't elevated my toes turn purple. I'm in a back slab at the moment and it's a lot heavier than I expected- so much so that I've pulled a muscle in my thigh trying to manoeuvre it. My ankle feels very restricted, the cast seems to press on it a lot - I'd assumed the swelling would have gone down enough so that this wasn't the case?

i apologise for the negative post, I'm having a bad day and just really need some support and advice as to how I'm going to work through this. I'm fortunate to have the whole of the summer off work as I work in a school. 

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

... Continued as I ran out of space

i have my two children with me' who are 10 & 8 and have been very good at keeping me supplied with drinks and food.

i feel bad that I'm complaining, after all it was my choice to go ahead with surgery, and there are so many people out there with bigger problems than mine.

on a slightly less significant note, I'm also very aware that I'm not doing anything (I'm usually on the go all day long) and although I'm trying to eat healthy, I need ideas to stop me reaching for the biscuits when I'm bored.

• Posted

Get the cast off and replace with aircast boot as soon as possible.

Take ibuprofen and start foot massage ASAP. Bag of frozen peas to get swelling down.

Pillows under foot at night to raise foot above heart.

Good luck.

Mr Ankle

• Posted

Thanks for your quick reply.

I've an appointment on Friday to remove cast and get an airboot - is it more comfortable with an airboot?

i stopped ibuprofen a few days ago  as I read they prolonged recovery time, is it better to keep on with it? 

Tia 

• Posted

Thanks for your best wishes I will take the advice you game me😀
  • Posted

Hi Alistairs mum i am sending you some words of support and to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I had reconstruction surgery on my right ankle just over ayear ago all 3 of my ligaments had ruptured and i had to have them all reconstructed like you i was in a back slab for 2 weeks and was told to rest completley till i has my back slab changed to a proper cast i was also NWB getting around was very difficult and i spent most of the two weeks in bed with my foot raised on pillows i to though i would go mad and it was the longest two weeks of my life afiter two weeks i was put in a full cast and told not to NTWB for another 4 weeks i started to get used to the crutches i must admit the only pain i got was the first two weeks of surgery when i the back slab when i wen to full cast pain was a lot better unfortunaltly there is no quick fix to healing only time there is light at the end of the tunnell i was put in a boot after 6 weeks of being in a cast and was able to walk with physio i had the surgery last june and was back at work in sept as i to work at a school in an ankle brace wore that for another 6 weeks to kep my ankle steady then after that was able to get rid of it completley i am now fully recovered and can even wear my heels which at the time thought id never wear again i hope this is some help i would def do as the hospital says i wouldnt advise going in to a boot or foot massage  rest and time are the only thing you can do hope this has been some help to you there is light at the end of the tunnell i also had many down days but now i feel like i have a new ankle and looking back glad i had the surgery good luck with everything if you need a moan or feel down just let me no
  • Posted

Oh dear, what was the surgery you had on your ankle? It's true that you really need to rest it and keep it above your heart level which should help with the swelling. I think you will need some more time off your job if you have to be on your feet a lot.

i am in week 7 following a Tar (total ankle replacement) and still require pain killers especially towards the end of a day. My ankle is still  very swollen tho cold compresses and periods of rest and high elevation helps. This is quite hard to work into a day tho hey? I'm told that I'm looking at 6 months before the swelling is gone. Whenever I sit down I put it up as high as I can and also massage it well at least twice a day using coconut oil which, as is is so slippy, makes it very easy and is soothing.

Good luck and sympathy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.