Lorazepam to Clonazepam

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello guys, 

The doctor switched me from Lorazepam to Clonazepam because he wanted me to be in a longer acting benzo. I was on 1mg ativan daily and he said he would start me off with just .125mg Clonazepam twice a day. 

I am super paranoid in starting new meds and keep thinking its going to have some horrible side effects or allergic reactions on me. If I take Lorezepam with no problems, will I be safe with Clonazepam since they are so similar? 

Also Is it safe to switch directly? He said I can still take the ativan if I need it for a panic attack but that it is safe to switch without tapering off. Is this true? I just wanna make sure because like I said I am suuuppper paranoid with new drugs. 

Thanks guys. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My doctor did the same thing I switched w no problems or side effects.
    • Posted

Did you switch directly without tapering at all? I just took Clonazepam today, I took half of my .125mg and felt really drowsy for about an hour or so. I also feel some chest pain today... is this just anxiety about taking the new med? 
  • Posted

It sounds like you have a good doctor. I'm glad about that. I feel sorry for people who post on this site that their doctor doesn't seem that bothered.

You will be fine. Please don't stress about something that may not happen.

Keep us posted on your progress.

• Posted

Ty. Yes after my psychiatrist moved out of state (he too was great) I found a wonderful doctor that is really helping my out. He works at the university I attend so its completely free for me. He agreed that the clonazepam wasn't right for me and has started me on Prozac. I'm on week 2 of it of a really small dosage and will probably up the dose when I see the doctor this week. He is actually seeing me weekly to keep up with my progress and reassure me I'm on the right path. I feel that every doctor should be that way. He is a hard find for a doctor snd I too feel bad for those who don't have this reassurance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.