Losartan

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was originally taking rampril but as I was experiencing uncontrollable coughing fits and itchy hands and feet, I am now taking Losartan.

Thankfully the cough has gone, but I still have slightly itchy hands. Does anyone else experience this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Your comments are very interesting indeed.  I was started on Ramapril 4 mths ago, and after 1 mth changed to Losartan due to "Ramapril Cough".  Losartan 50mg - 100mgs for last 3 months and strangely enough the cough has got worse - it is almost unbearable!  Sleep is terrible due to chronic tickly coughing. People are constantly telling me to check out my cough with GP as it is so chronic. Had chest x-ray etc and lungs are fine.  Dr never mentioned anything about Losartan cough, and as such I have decided to reduce my 100mg to 50mg, with intention of getting an Dr's appointment to come off it  (I know this should be done via GP but getting appointment takes time!    

What interested me more was not the cough, but the chronic itching you talk about.  I have only now, after reading forums, realized that my itching is more likely to be due to this med. I mentioned to Dr on previous visit about feet (mainly toes) feeling prickly and severely itchy, so much so it wakes me at night, and is quite a sensory sensation. I explained how bad this was, and GP was totally stumped as they look normal. She never even thought to mention a possible med side effect. As such, I am monitoring my own BP which is low now (weight loss seems to have helped)  and fingers crossed the cough will go away and my feet return to normal.  I wonder how long it will be before the itching goes.  

Wishing you good health.  

• Posted

Sorry for the length reply.  I tried to keep it short, but ended up like a short story.
  • Posted

Several weeks after I stopped taking 25 Mg Rampril, I was still coughing and itching

My hands and feet bled from scratching.

My Dr prescribed steroids which thankfully stopped the coughing fits and I no longer have itchy hands or feet..

Happily, I do not have side effects since taking 25 Mg Losartan smile

However, hard as it is, I am trying to lose weight to see if I can drop this altogether.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.