Losing it....

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I have been on steroids since October and it's only the last 2 months my hair has being falling out more then ever, my partner and I have really started to notice it now especially on my crown.

Is anyone else having this problem? And will it get worse?

Thanks

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda, is your steroid medication for your hair loss? I have alopecia and have tried some steroid treatments for it but didn't get on with them. Hairloss is scary and I totally understand why your worried. I wish I could tell you I'm one of the brave ladies that show the world, but I'm not, I get creative with headscarves try to keep calm as stress can add to more loss of hair. I hope you are well soon. Amanda ??

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

Nice name by the way :-)

No I am on steroids for a different illness and I think it is actually a side effect from them. Now when I say losing my hair I still have it its just that it is gradually getting thinner amd when I wash and brush it alot falls out. Also when I wake.in the morning there are few strands on my pillow.

It may go when my illness has been cured and I'm free from steroids but I just hope it doesn't get to a bad stage.

How did the alopecia come along Amanda? Is that something that can be cured?

Hope you don't mind me asking.

• Posted

Hey, we obviously have mums with good taste!

I 1st got it when I was about 16, it was a large patch at the back of my neck. It all grew back after about a year. This time it's it's most of my whole head. I have cronic pain and the body reads that as stress, so that's why the Dr thinks I have it now. I've had it this time for about 6yrs. There aren't any long term cures at the moment.

Yours does seem like there could be a connection to ur meds maybe. There are lots of ways to hide it and if it did get really think, you could be eligible for a wig on the NHS. Speak to your doctor, they will b able to maybe suggest something that might help or send you to see dermatology.

You can ask me whatever you like. It sounds like you have a lovely partner by your side so that great .

I'm on the end of a keyboard if your feeling down, us Amanda's have to stick together!

Keep smiling ??

• Posted

what steroid specifically are you on?   hard to evaluate without knowing that.   What dose also. 
    • Posted

Hi Michelle

I am on prednisone, I started on 35 mg a day last Oct o went down to 3 mg a day however 5 weeks ago I got put back.up to 8mg a day.

I have sarcoidosis on 3 different organs and yes it is an auto immune disease so very interesting what you said about hair thinning from different things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.