Loss of appetite

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello,

I've been taking Citalopram for five days, the first day I took one I seemed to be unusually hungry, but from the second day onwards I haven't had any appetite at all and it seems a struggle to eat. I don't seem to have had any other side affects, I felt sick and groggy for about four hours after taking the first tablet but that quickly passed. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so, how long it took to pass?

Also I missed the usual time I take my tablet, I slept in (by about 4 hours) and woke up feeling like I did before I started taking them, and my mood didn't really seem to improve all day, I thought it was odd as I read that Citalopram works in your system for a couple of days. Has anyone found it important to take it at exactly the same time every day?

Thank you! smile

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi holly

I am the same I have been taking 20 mg for a week now and I too have no appetite, you are lucky if you are not getting the side effects . I have a constant headache, feel sick and got no energy. What mg are you on ? As for the time you take them I missed one last week as I take last thing at night and I felt awful In the morning like the worst hangover ever. My doc said it takes 2 to 3 weeks to start working.

Take care Shane

• Posted

Hi Shane,

Thanks for replying! smile

I'm on 20mg. I did hear that the side-effects could be troublesome, I'm sorry to hear that they're making you feel bad. I don't seem to have had any bar on the first day. I didn't realize it took so long to start working, I take mine first thing in the morning as I was advised that morning was better.

Hope you feel better soon.

Holly.

• Posted

I too experience loss of appetite, it does subside as time goes by.. the first 2-3 weeks I found it difficult to eat, but now I'm eating normally again and my appetite is even improved.

My advice is prepare yourself for this if you're starting out, get plenty of easy to eat foods like soups, snack foods (allow yourself to be naughty for a couple of weeks), and get some "replacement meal" type milkshake-type powder drinks for when you don't feel like eating at all.

You must maintain your calorie and nutrition intake so don't skip your meals, else you'll not do yourself any favours.

• Posted

It happened to me. I can forget to eat if no one is around.
  • Posted

I'm on the day 17 of Citalopram (20mg) and the loss of appetite is horrendous. I had very little appetite before I started the med so I don't know if it's the med or my anxiety. Lost about 10lb in 3 weeks and still losing weight. On top of this I have diarrhoea so it makes matters worse. Lots of side effects and no gain so far. But I'm trying to be positive that soon it will kick in and I will be a new me!
  • Posted

Hi grace unless the weight loss is welcomed, be careful and ensure you maintain your minimum calorie intake and nutrition. If you can't eat much get some of those meal replacement milkshakes from the supermarket and some soup. Be sure to drink plenty of water too if you have diarrhoea. I find exercise and fresh air helps stimulate my appetite, but of course that may be difficult if you don't feel up to it.

Starting at a high dose like 20mg is very difficult so you're brave for doing that and sticking it out. The most difficult side effects will be the first 3-4 weeks and they should gradually lessen from that point as your body begins to adjust.

My approach to taking Citalopram has been different. Rather starting on 20mg (the normal theraputic dose), I've had plenty of experience with anti-depressants and know how bad the side effects are and how they can interfere with your ability to work etc. So what I did was started very low on 2.5mg daily, then moved to 5mg and now I'm on 10mg with a view to moving to 20mg by next month. This gradual progression has been a lot easier and the side effects at each level have much elss and been manageable so far. The trade-off for that is a much longer side effect period, maybe 2+ months.. rather than 4-5 weeks, and the 3-4 very difficult weeks most experience.

• Posted

Hi morphix,

I'm very sensitive to medication and currently on day 18 of 10mg citalopram. I'm pretty sure they'll want to ramp it up but I think doubling up to 20 would give me a lot of problems. I'm only just seeing things settle a bit now but morning anxiety is still a problem.

Would you think 2.5mg increments for a week would be noticeable or was wondering if I could get away with 5mg increase but not sure they do 5mg tabs.

Also another problem I'm hoping will settle is that I take it around 830pm but then wake at 1-2am and every hour after so I'm more tired through day. Any suggestions anyone?

• Posted

Hi Holly,

I too am on 20mg of citalopram and im on day 3 of taking them, my appetite has been very low to the point i will eat and then not want it.

Not overly concerned yet as some weight loss is welcomed by me anyway. Will monitor it though just in case.

I try and take it the same time everyday just because if i dont i will forget. My GP didnt mention taking it at the same time every day though. I was quite emotional so i may not have been paying much attention.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

im on day 15 of celexa and have no appetite and have lost 6 pounds.  The thought of eating makes me gag. Just wondering if this gets better. Please tell me yes
    • Posted

Hi, this is my first time on here. Just wondering if your appetite came back. I'm on day 7 of celexa @ 20mg after 10 days @ 10mg. My appetite is getting worse. Plus edgey. Wondering if worth staying on. I also quit wellbutrin @ same time upped to 20mg after being on it for 3 months. Tried that first because not happy long run being on cymbalta. Now thinking cymbalta wasn't so bad.

• Posted

Hi Htufts and Heidi

yes your appetite will come back unfortunately it is a side effect of the cit  or any ad's for that matter all come with side effects.

stick with the meds if they help, some take a while to get into your system too hence it is a while before you see any improvement.

hang in there.

• Posted

Thank you for replying! Did you or others out there have problems being very edgey in the mornings? That's another big problem I'm having. Between edgey mornings & not even want to think about food much less eat it, I'm really struggling, getting drained & depressed. Any help appreciated.

• Posted

I did when i took the ad's in the morning, try taking them at night an hour before bed and that should hopefully stop the edgey symptoms.

I know when i am due my next tablet as i get restless in the evening, i find i have less symptoms when i take them at night.

No problem happy to help with any other questions smile

• Posted

I broke down & called doc today. They want me to try to tough out 1 more week. Too soon to tell really with getting wellbutrin out of system & adjusting to celexa. I do have clonapin to help too. Guess I'll try my best. I actually had an appetite last night, but not much since. Hopefully, sign of things to get better. Forgot to ask about taking at night. Anxiety is such an exhausting sickness. How can you feel adrenaline pumping thru body, yet super hard to get out of bed. So overwhelming & feel like any little thing will send over edge. Struggling & have to go back to work next week at a school.

• Posted

I feel your pain. I've been on citalopram for about 3 weeks now, 20mg, and 2 weeks in I've started feeling just terrible. All the side effects, sweats, insomnia, NO appetite and worsening depression/anxiety, going on a week of feeling this. I finally called my doc yesterday and she said it sounds like I started on too high of a dose and told me to lower it to 10mg and give it a little more time. I'm just so scared that I will always feel like this, I've been on citalopram in the past and never reacted like this, which scares me that it's just me and not the meds.... Please tell me I'm not alone here and it will get better! Has anyone else been told they started too high of a dose? Or worsening depression?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.