Loss of sex drive with Prolactin

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone find they have a no of sex drive through haveing high prolactin and if so how long till sex drive will be back to normal.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Nick, yes this happens because the excess prolactin is making your testosterone ineffective.  But if you are on Cabergoline, that should reduce the problem.

• Posted

Ok thats great to hear thanks for replying to my question do you know how long ruffly the excess prolactin takes to go so my testerone will be at its normal level.
    • Posted

I got relief almost immediately of all my symptoms - not total immediately, but they dissipated quickly.

Is the Cabergoline reducing your prolactin quickly enough?  Maybe you need an increase in dose.

Libido is the desire.  Is that what you are lacking?  Or do you have the desire to, but your body lets you down?  That is erectile dysfunction.  It could be two different problems.

• Posted

When I first started on Cabogorline i started on 0.5mg 2 tablets a week for 1 week then increased to 4 tablets a week 0.5mg which was the equivilent of the 1mg tablets i think and now i have some more tablets takeing 2 a week which should be the 1mg but its the 0.5mg if that makes sense so basically i think i could be takeing the wrong medication because the pharmist say different to what my gp says but obviously im going to listen to my GP im going to have to check with my doctor.

I think its the Libdo is the desire is what i am lacking. 

• Posted

4 x .05mg = 2mg.  Now it sounds like you are back to 2 x 0.5mg = 1mg.  Your pharmicist could be right, it won't be the first time pharmicists pick up on Dr's errors.  Which is good.  They did for me a couple of times when the dr got it wrong.

Definitely talk to your dr about the level of medication.  What is he saying about the lack of libido?  Depression can do it.

Have I told you to get your Iron Studies/Panels checked - not just iron.  It should include your ferritin iron level.  Too much or too little can cause the same problem.

Talk to dr about a testosterone supplement as well, although I think you said your testosterone level was normal in another post.  Maybe a little jab or gel / patch will get it working again.

• Posted

Nick I'm 24 male and I feel your pain I just found out I have low t and high estrogen and have low tsh like hypothyroidism, but I been diagnosed with hypogonadism. ... I can say I have pituitary issue arising...It hasn't been ruled out if I have a issue but the looks of my blood work I can say it is the cause....I think if your pituitary is in remission no more tumor or cancerous try to ask your doc for a hcg shot with aromatose estrogen blockers...your body's t and will go up same time it will help your testicles help produce sperm.. and just cycle off when needed...sex drive and desire will come back I hear from different men...some men still stuggle ...Still worth a try ...I been curently looking for stem cells articles on pituitary issues and been unsecussful.... hoping they can find wat causes it and if they can come up with some thing to put it In Remission.. I hate feeling this way....
    • Posted

Sex life was great til now
    • Posted

I was reading up on estrogen in Wikipedia, and weirdly, it says that males need some estrogen for libido.  But in your case, Jeffcc, I guess you had too much of a good thing!  Nick does not say if his estrogen is high but he should look at that.

• Posted

Idk why patient info blocked my message. My t level is 400, estrogen at 114 and tsh at .19. I feel like crap headache , body ache, muscle are sore , joints pop and crack Fatigue, sleepy. estrogen makes men lose muscle gains and gain weight. I am starting to see I'm losing muscle mass. I Dont know why but it Im really upset and depressed...
    • Posted

Have you had an Iron Studies blood test?  If so, what is your ferritin and transferring saturation % level?  Excess ferritin iron can be a cause of pituitary tumours, and symptoms like yours.

• Posted

No still waiting to get my fsh and lh and prlactin checked through blood work doc wants me to wait two weeks I am only waiting one week since my body is going through a lot and I cant keep playing this waiting game that my endocrinologist wants me to do... will take it tomorrow since I seen him last week friday.... it's been 6 days so it good enough to know...iron studies havd not gotten but my alt and glucose we're also elevated And marked as high... my thyriod tsh was low....I never got a t3 nor t4 for my thyriod... but since my tsh was really low .19.... I came to the conclusion I have hypothyroidism without checking my t3,t4... all in all I feel I might be coming to the conclusion ithat I can have a ptuitary issue... cause of I was diagnosed with hypogonadism and now I am self diagnosing hypothyroidism.... and been not feeling right....so yeah just my luck....I have a little boy had him early , but I will probably not be able to have any more kids cause what I am coming down with....
    • Posted

All your issues come with haemochromatosis.  Make sure you have an Iron Studies/Panel test - not just iron!

Don't fret until your suspicions are confirmed.

• Posted

I got a testosterone jab and will have these for a while now- in conjunction with the cabergoline- it's made a massive difference to how I feel and a marginal increase in my energy level. It's a deep injection every 10 weeks and makes a difference. Certainly noticed a swing on libido and energy, you can ask for this of you have a pituitary tumour. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.