Lost

Posted , 4 users are following.

My partner started taking gabapentin about a month ago, and now he is really distant both physically and emotionally. Has anyone else had this issue? How long does it last?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maddie

It may improve if he gets more used to the dose, but don't count on it (particularly if on a high dose). It can rock your communication ability and made me very apathetic. Cognition issues are well documented. Numbing the nerve pain usually means that general physical sensitivity is reduced - it's a side effect.

• Posted

I take 300omgs a day. That's almost thtop dose for neuropathic pain. I can't say I'm sex mad or anything, but I'm a woman of a certain age, and taking a couple of other drugs too, so I have to take that into consideration! I have NO perceptible side effects, am not distant, have no feelings of separation. My emotional response to my son and his dad has not changed. Give it a good few months before you get too concerned, it takes a long time for the body to assimilate these drugs.

In closing, I will say that EVERYONE responds differently to these anti seizure meds (that is the original use of the gaba, though it is prescribed off label for neuro pain as often if not more.)

• Posted

Hi Maddie,

I never heard of the effrect using gabapentin would be like that, my personal opinion would be getting advise from his GP

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.