Lost my sense of taste on carbimazole

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello I'm new here can anyone help please started taking Carbimazole in late April this year after a reading of 75

No idea what that means but consultant said it was high ..had been feeling awful for about 18 months

GPS was treating me for depression / anxiety about 4 days ago I lost my sense of taste...has anyone else experience

this and if so how long does it last..

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Blighty, I've been on medication since early last year and also on carbimazole.

I've not personally experienced the lost of taste but I read that "taste disturbance" is one of the side effects when taking carb... Do you still taste food differently or completely can't taste? And also how much is your daily dosage of carb? 

18 months is a long time to discover your thyroid issue. I took roughly 3 months to figure it out and at the beginning I had a lot of anxiety and thought I was depressed. But after figuring out the real cause and starting my medication, these symptoms (anxiety, tremors, loss of weight etc.) started to go away gradually. I did not get any treatment for depression / anxiety. Do you think perhaps this treatment / medication also has side effects related to your taste problem?

Sorry I can't help much. But stay positive and all the best!

• Posted

Hi Thank you so much for your reply..yes I have completely lost my sense of taste

I take 10mg of carbimazole

three times a day and 10mg four times a day of a beta blocker and a water tablet once a day

To help my with my blood pressure

I knew I wasn't depressed so I refused to take any medication for that but I did take Diazepam because

yes I was anxious and had tremors and lost one and a half stone

Still under weight now however I feel so much better except for loosing my sense of taste that's my only concern

I just hope it returns soon thank you for your kind words

Warmest regards ☺

• Posted

its carbimazole effect which does not last long
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your post...That has settled my mind

Warmest regards ☺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.