Lost without drinking

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

So basically my drinking has gotten me into a lot of trouble. I've had run ins with the police, fallen out with friends and even crushed relationships and potential relationships. I am determined to stop however, all of my friends drink and everywhere I go I'm tempted to drink. I am going on a date this Saturday and I suffer from anxiety and depression and when I normally go on dates I drink to settle my nerves. I already made my date aware that I don't drink anymore. So how will I get through this date and this life without a drink? I'm only 23!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have similar back ground drink , drugs run in with police spent 22nd b day in prison . I'm 33 now when I was released from prison I moved away from were I grew up from my mates not my choice just I was put in a hostel away from them . And to be honest it was best thing that could have happened to me as I didn't have their influence not that I needed that I'm a bad enough influence on myself . So my advice would be move away from them as for the date well you better find some self confidence fast . Your only 23 look just go for it have a good time your still young not like if it goes bad you can't find another girl to go on another one with. Live and learn gd luck

• Posted

Try it and see. If all else fails speak to your Gp regarding anxiety and depression there is medication for that and it's far better for you than alcohol.

It's heart breaking to read someone so young feeling like that but totally understand. I spent the best years of my life having panic attacks, eating disorder, zero confidence, not letting anyone get close. Now 40 and regret so much. Get help, you have time on your side. I wish now that I had sought help far sooner than I did as now I'm middle aged and have done so much damage over the years. If you can, speak with your date regarding nerves,anxiety. People are often far more understanding and sympathetic than you anticipate. Everyone knows someone who's been there or had similar problems. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.