Low B12 but not anaemic - Please Help!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello

Can anybody out there help me to figure out what to do with my GPs? I have recently had a blood test which showed my B12 levels were low (below 200). So they sent me for another blood test for pernicious anaemia and celiac's disease. That came back normal and they marked me as 'no follow up needed'. I have spoken to a GP today and he says that if there is no anaemia, there is no need for treatment. This doesn't sound right to me and I have asked to see a different GP next week.

My mother has exactly the same unknown condition - low B12, not anaemic - and she has to have injections.

I was first diagnosed with low B12 10 years ago (I'm 38 now) and had injections. The injections made me break out in tiny little welts, so they took me off them. Since my teens I have suffered from recurrent staph infections, candida (skin), depression and anxiety, and in my early 30s I suddenly developed hyperacusis (hyper-sensitive hearing). They told me the hearing thing would have been since birth, but I never had a problem with it prior to a few years ago. Also, I am always tired.. I'm concerned that the low B12 levels are causing all of this, but the doctors just seem to dismiss it.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Try to find another GP if you can. Or go to an endocrinologist. They specialize in testing for hormone imbalances and vitamin deficiency. I just went to mine and found out that I was iron and vitamin D deficient. I am now on iron/vit D pills and feel much much better. I am 32 and I had anxiety, depression, and a whole lot of other things bad going on with my body because of this deficiency. Sometimes doctors won't listen so please keep trying until you find one that does. It is up to you to feel better. Also, you can buy B vitamins at Rite Aid or any other pharmacy store. It may not be the high dosage you need but it should make you feel a little better. Hope you feel better soon! smile
    • Posted

Hello, very helpful reply! Can you tell me what other problems did iron and vitamin D deficiencies cause for you?
    • Posted

Hello. Its nice to know im not the only one! To make story short I had blood work done last yr in sept beause i wasnt feeling ok. Had blood work done. Never went back to check results. Started feeling really bad two wks ago. Headches,nauseous, jittery,anxious,really depressed, heat palpitations, cold hands n feet andy many more. Decided to go back see my dr. She checked the results from sept and said those test showed i was anemic and thyroid was off 😧she prescribe me ferrous sulfate 325mg two pills a day and had be do another blood work. I am seeing my dr wed coming up. How long it took you to start feeling better with the anxiety and depression? Thats what is getting to me right now. Cant wait to start feeling like my old self again. I see your also taking vit d. I will be asking my dr if im low on any of the vitamins. I am known of my vit d being low in the past. When they do the blood work for anemia do they also check the vitamins?
  • Posted

You are being put in danger by your doctor. B12 is the vitamin that when low can cause severe neurological damage, you need loading doses. Put it in writing and ask for it to be placed on your notes. If necessary change your GP. Good luck.
    • Posted

Lady dawn.. Please help me.. I had blood test done I'm b12 deficiency im not anemic. I was diagnosed on December 12th 2014. I've had 5 injections 1 a week for 5 weeks.. now my next 1 is April 8th. I have asked the doctor for monthly injections but he said no.. 3 monthly is fine I've had a good top up... my fingertips keep tingling.. im so lightheaded.. my blood results was everything was perfect except b12 deficiency and pre menopause... im so scared please I need advice... im 43..
    • Posted

Ladydawn you are being excessively dramatic and scaremongering. With severe deficiency you can get neurological symptoms which can get serious if neglected but that is at the bad end of the spectrum. Straygoat is worried enough without that kind of advice. Many people have slightly low B12 with normal Intrinsic Factor, IF(the test for autoimmune pernicious anaemia PA, which prevents absorption no matter how much B12 you eat). It is difficult to know what to do for them. As the IF is normal then they can probably successfully take oral B12 (which does not work in PA)

or failing that have the occasional B12 injection , rather than the daily starter doses followed by regular 3 monthly injections for life needed in PA.

My main suggestion to the doctor would be that she get tested again in 3-6 months rather than the rather unhelpful ' no follow up' which was said to Straygoat

• Posted

Google B12 support group uk and get help from them.

You may have a problem with absorbing B12.

• Posted

Eat plenty of dairy products, eggs, meat and poultry. So many articles tell us to keep off dairy products and this is quite wrong. Try to bring up your B12 yourself that way.
  • Posted

My b12 level is 274 which is within range as minimum range limit is 200 and plus my hemoglobin was low so my gp instructed me to have multivitamin injections.

Range starts from 200 but vary from lab to lab.

Get ur CBC result what was ur hemoglobin ? may be it was perfect thats why ignored b12 level otherwise change ur GP. Should consult another GP then take any other step.

• Posted

I in no way meant to be over dramatic. Read the book 'Could it be B12'. I believe that the NHS 3 monthly injections is too standard and doesn't allow for people who have been needing it longer or have different requirements. No need to panic though as people do go a long time before diagnosis. Intrinsic factor is what is needed to absorb from the diet and if you still have that you can indeed take an ordinary pill and absorb it. Without IF you have no choice but to take injections and or sublingual b12 pellets. For the information of the poster sayinng I was over dramatic, I suggest he research further about the misdiagnosis of MS when it has in fact been b12 deficiency. Merck says you should keep getting loading injections UNTIL SYMPTOMS DISAPPEAR. So unless we are arguing with them......
  • Posted

Hi I have recently been diagnosed with anemia and whilst reading up on it I also read a lot about b12 deficiency for some reason a lot of doctors dont test for it I'm not sure why I would try and get a second opinion definetly if you have had it before then surley they should treat you for it. Hope you get on okay
  • Posted

Hi had supersensitive hearing. Diagnosed extreme anxiety. Could not stand any loud noises caused anxiety attacks have just found out my vitamin d level is 12. Feel awful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.