low b12 PA ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

my sons instrict factor came back as 6.1 the surgery said normal, his b12 is 209 (range 200-900) his active b12 is 28 (range 26 - 145) celiac is also normal, GPS are refusing to treat him as in range my question is can you have low b12 and not be PA , if so is there any other test to confirm, many thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

His levels are extremely low. Has he had any supplements at all? If not then you could possibly try to convince your gp to do mma or homocystine tests, these should be really high if b12 is low apparently.

if the gp wont budge you need to get him to find a reason for your sons symptoms(i assume he has some).

failing that, unfortunately you might need to consider self medicating, there are at leat a choice of methods to take b12 onboard.

• Posted

Hi lisa if he is absorbing b12 why would it be low what else could cause it x
  • Posted

I would advise you contact the Pernicious Anaemia Society via their website, they deal with all forms of low B12 not just PA. They will also intervene on a patient's behalf if their GP isn't treating it properly.

it sounds as though your son does have PA. The MMA & Homocysteine blood testing will be helpful to prove your case.

• Posted

Hi - I think we were just looking at the same web page checking out the IF results!  You will need to have the lab ranges.

Your son's active B12 came back in the grey zone - I know because that is what my result was too.  However, I had the back up of MMA - methymalonic acid and HCY - homocysteine - which would give a clearer result.  Doctors really do not know much about B12 deficiency - and yes, you can have all the symptoms without having the autoimmune condition PA.  The MMA will show what is going on at cellular level - mine came bk as clearly low.  

You will have to be prepared to read and inform yourself as much as possible - and to push for the loading injections from the doctor.  Don't supplement until had further tests.  Always get print outs of all results - and don't accept normal without seeing exactly for yourself - and be aware normal does not mean optimal.  Look at the PAS as advised, B12d site and also Sally Pacholok's book Could it Be B12?  Good forum is the Healthunlocked  - you will get all the government guidelines to help you get the necessary treatment - I haven't got it handy at the moment....

His ferritin and folate checks will also need to be done, as they need to be in balance to support the manufacture of B12.

Good luck!

• Posted

I belive yes you can have low B12 and not have PA, I did.  I guess there is a tipping point and maybe other factors involved.  I am not a med proff.  I do know however that in many other European countries and Japan that the lowest level for B12 before treatment is given is 500.  Our UK low level is too low. Check iron levels too as both of my B12/iron were rock bottom.
    • Posted

what else could cause low b12 if we are absorbing x?
    • Posted

It can be there in the blood, but not reaching the cells, because of a fault in the way we process it. This can be genetic.
    • Posted

I just wish someone would listen what is the best test to get MMA or homMethylmalonic ? i might have to think about going private to have it done x
    • Posted

A multitude of things. B12 is made in the ileum, if this process is blocked or impaired in any way- no absorption.

For eg:

Crohn's disease, IBS, coeliac, gastric band.

Nitrous oxide used for operation or recreational drug use.

Proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole. Often we are low in acid - same symptoms as high.

Metformin.

Vegan/vegetarian.

PA

Alcoholic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.