Low dose dispersible Aspirin as a migraine preventative

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone tried a low dose of dispersible aspirin as a migraine preventative? I have been plagued with common migraine headaches behind my left eye for several years. The usual triggers are alcohol and chocolate but lately there was no specific trigger. The headaches would last for up to 10 days with a break of a day or two and then start again.  They made my life a misery. I have tried many preventative medications but none helped. I then read on a forum that a low dose of dispersible aspirin may help so I started taking a 75mg tablet in water every morning.  My life has been transformed even to the extent I can now enjoy a drink without almost immediately starting a headache.  I hope this post may help other sufferers.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sarah that's really good news and aspirin is so cheap as well. Will definitely give it a try.
  • Posted

HI Sarah - i am so pleased you have found something that help you! I am going to try it too- will get some today - keeping everything crossed x
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing this sarah, my migraines are also behind my left eye.  No classic aura, but I also get nausea and sometimes diarrhoea (sorry, tmi).

I recently read something like this too and bought some soluble aspirin, but I keep forgetting to take it.  You've given me new resolve (and hope).

My triggers used to be pre-menstrual and alcohol, but now that I'm post-menopause and tea-total, the trigger has changed to using the PC.  Which pretty much sucks because the internet is my only friend and I now can't use it for more than 45 minutes or so at a time without getting a migraine.  I used to love spending hours on my PC.

I'm going to take your tip and see if it works for me.  I'm glad you are getting some relief and I hope it continues for you, some of the posts on here are heartbreaking to read.  So much suffering...

• Posted

Hi. My migraines started post menopause and got worse and worse.  I would often wake up in the middle of the night when one started. I would also get one in the middle of a round of golf and then couldn't hit a ball & usually had to walk in.  I only had to look at alcohol and I would get one.  No aura or nausea just excruciating pain.  Since starting the aspirin I have been so much better.  I really hope it works for you. 
  • Posted

It really does i have tried aspirin and it eases my symptons too .
  • Posted

Hi Sarah,

I cut out wheat and dairy, went on a hormone balancing diet- mostly lots-tons of organic vegetables, once in a while organic chicken or turkey to my diet, lowered my stress levels. Took VIt. D, C, B12 and white willow bark  (a supplement- which asprin was originally made from.) Tumeric capsules and acidopolus. I am now pretty much migraine free.(had a slight one a few weeks ago- but had a chocolate 'binge' at that same time! ( Happy easter!) I have had 10 years of severe monthly migraine- including a trip to the ER with what I thought was a stroke- but looks more like Hemapegic M looking back on it. Tooks months to recover from that episode.Wanted to share what I did in case it can be of help to anyone else.I don't think that anyone that has not suffered through the effects of Migraines can understand how truly scarey and debilitating they can be, I'm glad the asprin therapy helped you!

• Posted

Oh my goodness this has given me hope - I'm getting some asprin in the morning. I started experiencing migraines about 2 years ago for the first time, and I am now getting about 3 attacks a month lasting between 1-4 days each, its driving me insane. !!!!!!!!!!! Sumatriptan works but i do worry about how many i take, and although they relieve the headache symptom, I am still left drained, shattered naseaus and fearfull of the next one.
    • Posted

I hope it helps you too. I don't think it is a cure but has certainly reduced the frequency of my attacks. Like you once I started a migraine it could last for days, the longest being 10 days. I could stop the headache with a Sumatriptan but it would be back the next day. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.