Low dose for depression please help

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've suffered with depression for years. Ssri usually work for me and I would also take 10mg amitrypteline for my ibs. Stopped meds depression got worse became alcohol dependant. I'm clean now so went back to docs was put on sertraline has my 2 week review today. Said I felt ok I'm myself which I do but know the depression is still there.... but sertraline was affecting my ibs and giving me insomnia. He asked if I'd ever taken amitrypteline I said yes for my ibs and it would help a little with my sleep. So he's stopped my sertraline and now he's said just to take amitrypteline 10-20 mg per night. Is this enough to treat depression???? Pharmacist didn't think so. I want to go back to work soon but can't til depression sorted even though I'm feeling a bit better now my concentration etc could be improved. Please can anyone give me some advice??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carlolyn

?Amitriptyline has been around as an anti-depressant for a very long time. Other new and even newer anti-depressants have come and gone since then. Yet the GP's still use it even though there are many side effects that have been noted time and time again. Yet, it still works for some people and as long as the side effects do not put them off can be a useful tool in helping patients. One of the side effects of this drug is 'brain fog'...do you remember this from when you last took it, or perhaps you did not notice it amongst your other symptoms. If you want your concentration improved so that you can get back to work this is an important point to consider. Perhaps another talk with your GP is needed before you feel comfortable going back onto it? I believe very strongly that GP's should be entirely honest with patients and discuss all possibiities with them so I hope that you can ask all the questions you want to before making an informed decision.

Be well soon and I wish you a Happy Christmas and a better 2017

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. In general I feel ok. Last time I was on amitrypteline it was just 10mg I remember being a bit tired or so for a week then it went but still had dry mouth next day. He didn't discuss any side effects and as far as he was concerned if I start sleeping again now I'm not drinking I might not need anything else? He was quite abrupt so would rather not see him but he's the only doc available for my review in a month. I'm a bit scared now as I've picked up a bit... Thanks so much for responding to me have a lovely Christmas

• Posted

Started last night didn't help with sleep and ibs hurting today. It was meant to help with both. Mood dipped a bit today perhaps sertraline put of system now. I can go up to 20mg on amitrypteline but wonder if it's too soon

• Posted

Hi again Carolyn

?I'm not sure Amitrip will help your IBS - nothing helps mine, I just have to live with it! Again we have a situation where a patient has depression and has been taken off one drug that works for that to another supposedly that works for both. Well it doesn't! On another post this morning we have a similar situation where drug that helps her moods has been taken away in favour of Amitrip to help another symptom of Life. Honestly, some days I could crush a grape! (Old comedy line you may not have heard of).

?Ask GP if you can take both together and if not, why not. If there are good reasons for not taking them side by side ask why and what are the alternatives. I remember you saying that your GP is rather abrupt and insensitive...please wait and see another GP in the Practice, possibly a lady doctor, and get another opinion. I hate to think of all you out there not feeling well over the Holiday season when a bit of thought and extra care could resolve a lot of patients' issues.

Again I wish you better care and support enabling you to do the one thing you want to do which is Work.

• Posted

It's a shame really. Apart from the runs which was worse the first week and insomnia I was doing well and starting to feel like my old self a bit. I really expected him to keep me on sertraline and add something for sleep. Amitrptaline has worked for my ibs in the past but the reason I'm off work is depression. He seemed to think if I'm sleeping ok I might not need anything else. Well it did nothing for my sleep and it's a bit early to increase dose. Don't get me wrong I'm no where near as bad as I was depression wise but my mood has dipped a bit today and my worry is if I rush back to work and it comes back I'll be off again! Maybe it's sertraline wearing off or start up of amitrptaline. Just don't want to go back over. I've been motivated chatty even had my first night out for 6 months at the weekend. Now just feel a bit flat. Thanks for your response sometimes you just don't know where to turn!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.