Low Ferritin Question

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone, I am new here and wanted to see if anyone was on the same boat as me.  For years, I have had on and off again dizziness issues.  I was told I was slightly anemic and my numbers would get up and it would be fine.  However, I am having the off balance (dizziness issues) constantly, restless legs, very tired, slight headaches and just feeling unwell.  I was referred to a hematologist who said my ferritin was a 9.  I am back on iron and she wants to recheck in 3 months to see if it has gone up.  This was a week ago and man I definitely feel like I feel a little worse than better at this point.  The dizzines needs to go.  Just a FYI, with my previous dizziness issue, I had underwent all kinds of testing from the neurologist, wearing a halter, and bloodwork to rule out other issues.  Has anyone with low ferritin suffered like this and I am hopeful this will just all disappear soon as I can't work at this time because I feel so bad.  I was a teacher too and just couldn't even concentrate due to the foggy head feeling and dizziness which was too much.  Would love to hear how your experiences were?  I'm hopeful this will get better and that this was the problem all along.  My ferritin is a 9 in case you are wondering. Thanks for your help!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

You are experiencing the same thing as me. I've had horrible dizziness for 9 weeks now. Plus I have a ton of other symptoms. My hemoglobin was tested and the Dr said it was normal but my Ferritin is 12. I will see a Hematologist in 2 1/2 weeks for the 1st time. I've been on iron pills before and it took me a year for my Ferritin to get up to 80. Then it started dropping again ( because I went off my birth control pills) and in 6 months I was back down to 25. And I was still taking the iron while it was dropping. My periods are very bad and that's why I keep losing iron. I've been put back on the bc pill and I'm hoping the Hema will give me IV iron infusions to get my levels up quicker instead of taking the iron pill which takes forever to get into you system. I would suggest if you're not feeling better in the next couple of weeks, call your Dr back and ask them about the iron infusions. It's ridiculous that they only put you on a iron pill and expect you to start feeling better anytime soon. Hope I've been some kind of help. Hope you get the help you need. God Bless.

• Posted

Yes thank you. I need to work to help support family but this is just crazy. Takes your quality of life away for sure. Also when having little ones it makes it that much worse. Not to mention I have ringing of ears and fullness. Had that checked out previously and they always say that it looks good. Ugh so frustrating!!
    • Posted

Yes, it does. I'm a stay at home mom, I can't even fathom trying to work. There's no way in the world I could do it. I have problems with the fullness feeling in my ears too. It drives me crazy. I was sent to an ENT last week and they checked my ears and did a hearing test and they said that everything looked great. It's unbelievable all the havoc in your body that low iron can cause. I can not wait to get some help. I have been taking black strap molasses ( in pill form) and it has helped with the dizziness throughout the day. I bought it off line. Also, there's a support group on Facebook that I follow and it has been a huge help in helping me learn what I'm dealing with. I can not wait until the day that I feel normal.

• Posted

Oh I agree. I am hoping. It's crazy because my doctors never gave the relation of my low ferritin to the symptoms. At one point I was what they considered slightly anemic and they said that "might" be causing it but once my numbers went up a little they didn't think so anymore. No one ever mentioned low ferritin until I saw the hematologist. I told her I had been dizzy but she never acknowledged it either as a symptom. She just mentioned the restless legs and tiredness. I put a call into her today and waiting for a return call about what else I can do since I feel worse. What Facebook group it it? I need to find one too 😀.

• Posted

Sorry that I'm just now responding. The group I follow is called " Anemia-Iron Deficiency Support group." A lot of women are dealing with the exact same symptoms, especially the dizziness. It can not be a coincidence.

• Posted

Hi dragermom2  This is exactly how I feel! I'll give you a brief outline of what I've been dealing with.  I went to the dr 2 months ago as I was feeling really ill, dizzy, breathless, extreme tired, headaches and almost passing out during an exercise class.  I had a blood test and my ferritin level was 5.  I had iron tablets prescribed 3 times a day and had to have another blood test after 6 weeks.  I had the second blood test to be told my ferritin had come back up to 13 which was borderline normal and the dr said this was ok!  I, however, was still feeling far from ok with the dizziness and feeling like i'm not with it and spaced out and still getting breathless.  I went back to the dr and he sent me for chest x-ray and ECG both of which were normal, and was told to continue on iron tablets.  Went back last night for my follow up appointment, said I was still feeling dizzy and spaced out, and requested my ears were checked to rule out any infection there, to be told that this was caused by the aneamia (even though previously he told me my ferritin was back to normal levels) and prescribed even more iron tablets! Never even checked in my ears!  So i'm still feeling dizzy, spaced out, like I can't concentrate on anything.  I feel like if you stare at something a long time without blinking and you're eyes go out of focus, this is how i feel 90% of the time.  So I sympathise with you, and hope you feel better soon :-)

• Posted

Yes so true. It's crappy and messes with your quality of life. Everyone thinks you are crazy when you mention it. Ugh!!

• Posted

Your describing my symptoms perfectly. Did you ever figure out what was wrong? Did you resolve this?
  • Posted

Hi! I realize this is a 3-week old discussion and maybe you're not checking anymore, but this hit home.

Background:

I was recently in the emergency room because I was having trouble breathing. I'd been diagnosed with a DVT (blood clot in my leg) a month prior, so I was worried about complications from that. Chest scans were clear, but blood work showed anemia (hemoglobin of 8.1), low iron (8), and extremely low ferritin (2). That explained the shortness of breath. At the hospital, I was prescribed 65 mg of iron 3x a day.

By the time I saw a hemotologist a week later, I had started experiencing the severe dizziness and headaches many of you mention. At the time, I guess I didn't realize I had the full feeling in my ears that some of you describe, but I realized later. The hematologist told me it might take 6-8 wks for the oral iron to have an effect. I almost started crying. I told her I couldn't keep living like that. I got an IV iron infusion. That did help with headaches and one morning my ears "popped"--that's when I realized my ears had had that full feeling, but it was so constant it had started to feel normal.

I will say that the infusion hasn't really helped with the breathlessness. From what I understand (but I could be wrong), the ferritin is what stores the iron and "delivers" it to your red blood cells, so if you don't have ferritin, the iron infusions are probably not going to be a miracle cure if you don't have enough of the stuff that can bind that iron. Still, it's quicker than the oral stuff!

I also have have weird sensations in my chest and upper back--behind my shoulder blades. I mentioned this, but since my scans were clear, this doesn't seem to be too big a concern to doctors. Has anyone else had this?

• Posted

Hi Dee, I am not sure if you are a part of it or not, but I found that I have gotten a lot of answers from the facebook group Anemia-Iron Defficiency Support Group.  Look it up and join if you are on Facebook.  So many people suffering with lots of the same symptoms.  Ive had the fullness of ears for so long that I hope if my numbers ever get normal that it will go away as well.  I am still on oral vitamins but I go back in December to see what the numbers are doing.  If they are too slow to go up, then i am going to beg for the infusions. 
    • Posted

Hi dee, when I originally went to for a blood test I had a ferritin level of 5. I was experiencing extreme tiredness, to the point of almost passing out, dizziness, shortness of breath, heart racing etc. I have been on iron tablets 210mg 3 x a day for 12 weeks now and only now am I starting to feel better. It's a long process but you do start to feel better x

• Posted

Its relieving to know that im not the only one struggling with this. When my anemia was finallu caught over the summer my feritin was down to a 6. After a few months its gotten back up to a 14 but i feel no better, actually worse if anything. Im going to have to quit my dance tem (which i love and its my senior year which is awfu) and im struggling to make it through school. Im so dizzy and out of breath even when im not exercising. Your definitly not alon. Keeping you in my prayers
    • Posted

Hi Addie, I hope you will start to feel better soon. I've been on iron tablets for about 3 months now and only now am I starting to feel better. On my last blood test my ferritin level had increased from 5 to 13. That was about 8 weeks ago so it should have increased more now! The day after I've been running though I do feel wiped out. Hang in there and hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

How are you doing now? Over this summer I had iron infusions done and after a couple weeks I finally started to feel back to normal. Not exactly perfect, but at least able to function again. I was abl to work and go to school without issues again. However all the sudden within the last two weeks, I have been more dizzy then I have ever been in my life. My vision is actually starting to get messed up too and I don’t know what to do. I thought I was good for at least a while. I’m not sure what’s wrong with me. 
    • Posted

Hello just wondered how you were feeling now?

My ferritin is 10 and I feel awful.

So tired,achey arms and legs,  pins and needles and brain fog.

Have also been treated for b12 deficiency (loading dose of x6)

Now on iron tablets for past 3 weeks but haven't seen any improvement?

How long has it taken for you to feel an impact?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.