Low ferritin, saturation but normal hemoglobin and hemocrat levels. Crazy symptoms?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My ferritin is an 8, saturation is a 10 and hemoglobin a 13. Hemetologist says I'm iron deficient but not anemic.

I feel breathless like an underlying level of not enough oxygen. When I stand up from lying down or bending over my heart races. Climbing up one flight of stairs makes heart pound and the need for extra breaths.

My tongue feels like it's burning and my sternum is tender to touch. Also, my joints crack more easily.

I've had ekg, chest X Ray and loads of other blood work including thyroid which were clear. I'm very worried something severe is wrong as most sites say symptoms I have only occur with severe anemia which I'm not.

Help!!!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Your ferritin is really low which is what I think is causing my crazy symptoms too. Everything you mention is a sign of anemia. My ferritin is a 9 and my hematologist says that is really low and they like them well above 50 which she considers the beginning range of the ferritin. Also check your vitamin d and b12 as well.
    • Posted

Thank you!!! My Vit D is good at 50 and I'm functionally low on B vitamins according to naturopath but not lab low.

I'm getting weekly B Vit injections.

Just so hard to believe this is causing all my symptoms!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.