Low heart rate with propranolol

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi, my doctor prescribed 10mg propranolol twice a day. My heart rate went down to 48. My resting heart rate is between 58 and 65 without propranolol. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, my heart rate went down to 47 BMP. It's not an unsafe heart rate. If you don't feel weak, faint, etc then you're fine. I know it's kind of crazy, but I would just monitor how you feel. If you feel fine then don't worry about it.
  • Posted

Hello Nancy,

In a word, yes. I got atrial fibrillation and went on to bisoprolol fumarate. From a usual resting heart rate of 60, I went to 46. The doc upped the dose a little and though I stayed at 46 minimum, started feeling bad - the symptoms were like those of mild altitude sickness. Putting the dose back up stopped the symptoms.

Because I was feeling so desperately tired on the bisoprolol, I was put on slow release half beta prograne (propanolol is the active ingredient.)

My heart rate now varies from 46 to 52, depending on the time of day and how relaxed I'm feeling.

A beta blocker will slow the heart down...this is part of its role. Chilly feet and fingers are a common side effect. Dizziness and wobbliness after standing up are also common. Take time to get up slowly.

• Posted

Are you sure .. I have been on propanolol 40mg once a day my heart rate is 80/120 ..I have been thinking a lot .at times when I have bad dreams it makes me anxious it makes me panic .at first I use to work out a lot and walk a lot but this days I can’t any more ..because any time I plan to go out my mind keep tells that I will collapse or faint please what should I do ..
    • Posted

Hi am on 80mg propranolol. And when I go out I don't collapse I used to be scared to go out. But you can't let it control you. You need to carry on and go out you will be fine. Go for short walks to make your self at peace

• Posted

Thank you both for your quick replies. This will sound silly but the doctor gave me propranolol for anxiety and at the start I did feel very chilled. I felt so relaxed that I felt like I was hardly breathing, if that makes sense. That's when I decided to check my pulse and it was very low. This was only after a few days on just 10mgs. So now I feel more anxious because of the low heart rate!
  • Posted

Yes, I've heard of heart rates that low. What was your blood pressure before you started taking it and what is it now?
  • Posted

As far as I am aware my blood pressure did not change and remained normal
    • Posted

What's your normal? I'm scared to take mine because my bp runs low a lot.
    • Posted

I couldn't tell you. All I know is that my gp says " that's normal" I should pay more attention really. Anyway I have been in so much pain which is stressing me out that I decided to cut the 10mg in half and have been taking it in the morning and then in the evening if I need it. Even on 5mg my heart rate was 48 but it is doing the trick of keeping me calm at the moment
  • Posted

I'm feeling the same atm it's horrible I've been on propanolol for over 2 years for my anxiety causing fast heart rate but I have been getting a lot better with my anxiety and not getting palpitations as much my normal heart rate is about 60-70 but now I'm worried every time I take a propanolol it will go too slow I'm checking pulse every 2 mins which isn't helping I take 10mg 3 x a day does anyone have any advice? Thx
    • Posted

Hi,

I think you need to bear two things in mind...

1. A beta blocker will slow your heart rate because it damps down your fight/flight hormones. It also gives the heart an easier time and reduces it's demand for oxygen.

2.Even if your heart rate drops a lot, you're unlikely to suffer anything drastic. Beta blockers have been around for many years and Propanolol is a 'kind' one.

Checking your pulse occasionally is sensible and won't harm you. I know that on half - beta prograne (Propanolol - based slow release B Blocker) mine varies between 46 and 50bpm.

So, checked it out and I know how it feels/should feel. I stopped obsessing about it weeks ago.

• Posted

Oh mine has never went that low the lowest mine has ever been is 58 but since that night I have worried ever since
    • Posted

This might reassure you then!

I don't know your age or state of health but consider this. A 'normal' human heart rate is 60 to 100bpm. Ultra-fit athletes can easily have a resting rate of 46.

But I'm 61 ( today) and have a leaky mitral valve and have smoked for 45 years. I was put on B blockers as part of the treatment for chronic anxiety.

This last point means I've been obsessive about heart things for four decades...all it's ever done is make things worse. Never forget that you're designed to survive.

• Posted

Thx for advice day I took 10mg 2 hours ago and my pulse is 64 I need to stop worrying lol
    • Posted

I'm so scared to take propranolol because my bp is low. It's usually around 95/75
    • Posted

Hi tonia,

You're seeking reassurance and, when I need to do the same, I work  on the old principle that knowledge is power. So, I took a look at NHS Choices, which you'll find here...

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Blood-pressure-%28low%29/Pages/Causes.aspx

According to this - and I quote, 'Normal blood pressure is between 90/60 and 140/90.' Now, 'normal' is a very grey area. It could be you habitually have low blood pressure but that isn't necessarily abnormal.

Also, remember that many factors change BP. I just checked on my machine. Over the past week or so, I've recorded systolic pressures from 178 to 112. I'm on a the long-release version of propanolol; the dose is consistent and it's been the same hardware (the machine and me) all along. I think this proves my point. 

I suppose you may have mild hypotension (the opposite of hypertension or high BP). There are lots of things that can cause this but you may just have low BP anyway and this is no bad thing.

I think the first thing you need to do is to trust your doctor. I'm not medically qualified but I used to work with medical personnel every day for two years - I was the photographer/illustrator at a medical school.

Assuming it's a GP whose prescribed your propanolol, he or she will have five years' training under their belt at the very least. Having seen medical students at work in many different circumstances, I can say with certainty, studying medicine was no walk in the park.

Just like anyone else, doctors can make mistakes. However, I assume your doctor knows all about your BP figures - he or she would definitely take them into account.

It'd be interesting to look into just how much of the drug you've been prescribed - you can compare with other people on here as well as check out prescribing information on the web. However, it's worth noting that dosages vary hugely depending on a wide range of factors, including the reason for prescribing the drug. 

Lastly, whenever I start on a new drug, I always remember one thing. Often, the side effects happen considerably faster than the desired effect - time is needed to become accustomed to the new drug. 

I think that if you're really scared and haven't taken a beta blocker before, there'd be no harm in checking with your doctor. I've done this in telephone consultations before - they take up very little of the doctor's time and save your having to visit.

So, best of luck and please update if you want to.

• Posted

Goodness, you sound just like me! I am 61 this June and although my valve is not leaky, the skipping beats and palpitations do not help my existing anxiety, that's for sure! Do you feel better on the blockers?

• Posted

Hello was wondering if u will see this message please reply if so I have a few questions for you thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.