Low hematocrit

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am awaiting treatment for haemochromatosis.My serum ferritin is 1,500 and transferrin saturation 87%.My gastro persuaded me not to cancel my holiday and here I am.I panicked and got a local blood test,which showed my hematocrit slightly low at 38%(their range for males 40-45%,Google says 38 to 50%.Is this acceptably just a little low or have I made myself anaemic by avoiding meat too much and blocking it too much with tea,calcium,etc? Any advice? Haemoglobin also slightly low at 13.3. 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Eric...

First of all, really don't panic about anything. My ferritin level was 2000 this time last year. After a year of weekly venesections, it's now 21, and I'm now just a blood donor keeping my level below 50. The key thing for you now is to get your phlebotomy treatment started as soon as possible. Do you have any symptoms? My only symptoms were painful joints in my hands. Organs were all fine. As far as diet is concerned...try to just keep if fairly normal and balanced at the moment. Yes, tea and calcium prohibits iron absorption...I have this with most meals, and turmeric and IP6.

As I say, for you, the main priority now is to get your weekly treatment started....not to panic, as you've been diagnosed now and caught early enough I presume before any organ damage has occurred. If treatment is starting very soon, then you don't have anything to worry about...

It's a lovely feeling when the treatment starts and you start seeing those ferritin levels drop.

Well, keep me posted....the Iron family are here to help...Mike.

• Posted

Thanks Mike.My symptoms are tiredness and sore hips,the odd heart flutter,slightly high ALT.They say probably no organ damage but still waiting for date for liver biopsy.Will start venesection after that.My worry is that they won't do it if the hematocrit is too low.Should I be taking B12?

?I will update you when I know something.,Eric.

• Posted

It doesn't sound like your numbers for your hemocrit and hemoglobin are at a critical stage so would NOT recommend taking vitamin B12.  Realizing that the diagnosis of haemochromatosis can be very frightening, but it's best to put in the Dr.'s hands and get started with weekly blood draws and everything will eventually come together.

Currently I'm on the maintenance program (tested now every three months for ferritin levels).  During the weekly blood draws, I did become slightly anemic so just put off blood draw for a couple weeks.  It's amazing how your blood reproduces and takes care of these issues.

All the best to you.

• Posted

Ferritin levels are the only thing my Hematologist from Georgetown looks for. Yours a very high. Seems like you will need a serious phlebotomy schedule. My doc only allows blood to be take bi-weekly to ensure my body doesn't begin to hold onto the iron and hinder the process.

• Posted

It seems like a long time I last posted,but I had my first venesection at Manchester Royal Infirmary today.They said I didn't need the liver biopsy (phew) as my haemochromatosis test was positive (C282Y).They said to continue fortnightly,but I let them know I was happy to do weekly. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.