Low in vitamin d, and hairloss??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello! I've been suffering hairloss for 2 and a half years and have every blood test under the sun. It's only occurred to me that my vit d was slightly low at 26ng. Is this actually low!?? I'd really appreciate some input. Thanks x

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes 26ng is considered low, it should be around 70ng minimum nowadays although 50ng used to be considered acceptable. I have noticed that in UK that if you are over 25 ng vit D supplement is not being offered on prescription in some areas, presumably to save money, although in other areas it is.
    • Posted

I thought it was but the doctor clearly doesn't think so. Do you think this could be related to hairloss? I'm

Going to start supplementing liquid vit d3 5000iu to try and get levels up!

• Posted

Yes hair loss can occur with low level vit D but of course other things can course it too such as thyroid, diabetes, lupus, drug side effects ..... 

Why does your doctor think that you have normal vit D levels? It is not exactly rocket science to realise that 26ng is below normal! I take vit 

D supplement and also sit out in the sun whenever possible although it can be difficult at the moment. Sun screen can block vit D, so you really need to sit out for a short period without it. 

• Posted

I forgot to say you can get vit D from oily fish and some other foods, although over eighty per cent comes from the sun. I take 800iu per day and got from 26 to 52 in about three months. It does take time to boost up your levels. 
    • Posted

I live in the uk so no chance of sun!! Thanks for your advice I will hope to god that this helps my hairloss as I can't live like this! It's been the hardest thing to ever happen so far to me!
    • Posted

Good luck, as I said it does take time to get the vit D back to what it should be. I do hope the hair loss stops soon.
  • Posted

Hi there. I was under the impression that you can only take a maximum of only 2000iu/day, but may be wrong. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.