Low iron

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ive been having very heavy periods for about 12 months. I was told earlier this year I had low iron but I wasn't anaemic. Since then I've continued to have ridiculously heavy periods and every month I feel more rubbish. I am now having many symptoms.. mild headaches, lightheadedness, palpitations, feeling cold, tingly fingers and sometimes toes. The doctors are being useless. My last blood test about two months ago (I've had 2 heavy periods since this) said my red blood cells were fine and my ferritin was 28. I know this is in the normal range but surely its the low end and every month I can imagine this is going down?? The doctors don't seem to think this will cause symptoms. I am back at the doctors this week... I know it could be something else but it seems a bit of a coincidence that I've gynae problems and losing so much blood every month. Just wondered if anyone has had similar symptoms even though doctors won't treat it? I've been taking over the counter supplements but can't say they are doing much! Thanks

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Tell them you feel rubbish!! It took me having a rapid heart beat for 30 mins and me thinking I was going to die for them to say I was anaemic and needed iron supplement I've been on them since July and will be till at least Xmas! Luckily the palpitations have pretty much stopped I thought I felt rubbish because I had a 4 month old at the time it happened but now I think I bled a lot in child birth and that contributed to my anaemia! Luckily I have a great doctor I think you need to see a different one or take iron yourself you can buy it from shops x
  • Posted

My ferritin level was 25 and then 13 now 9. My dr prescribed ferrous sulphate 3 a day but I found these really difficult to take. I now buy Spatone from Boots not as high in iron but easier to tolerate for me. I too have really heavy periods so was referred to a gynaecologist who has now prescribed me northeaster one until December when I am having a womb ablation. You shouldn't have to suffer your Dr needs to help you.
  • Posted

Hi Rachhj34. I also have heavy periods especially the first two days. I have been on ferrous sulphate for nearly two years as I was very anaemic but although my levels are up I was advise to continue taking them as I am in my early 50's with no sign of a menopause in sight! The doctor tried to fit a mirena coil recently to control the bleeding but couldn't get it up there so had a scan to be told I had a bulky tilted womb so not possible to have coil now. I also suffer with anxiety and take 40mg propanolol  daily plus a gastro capsule for indigestion. I suffer with fluttering heart beats and was also diagnose with a heart murmour 2 years ago with breathlessness but scan didn't show anything serious and was put down to being anaemic, I have mood swings where I could just breakdown and cry one minute and be happy the next but all in all I just HATE feeling like this. Does any off this stike a chord with you?
    • Posted

It does yes! I'm 34 and ever since I had my youngest child three years ago my periods have been long and very heavy. I've had three ultrasouds this year, they have shown up the odd small cyst and now a few small fibriods aswell. I am going to gynae on 2nd November, hoping to get some answers! Does my ferritin sound low to you? the Drs just won't have it! I've also been offered the mirena coil but I want answers to what is actually worng first. Endometreosis has been hinted to me but one thing I dont have trouble with is is getting pregnant (I've three children). Just fed up of feeling crap, I've lost my zest - I feel constantly drained. Now I am starting to feel very down/anxious because of it all :-(
    • Posted

Hi. To be honest I don't know what levels these blood tests should be. The Doctors probaly think I'm paranoid enough without blinding me with more facts and figures! I also have slightly high cholesterol of 6.3 yet my BMI is around 20.5, eat a low fat diet and certainly not overweight but have mentioned this to various doctors about this and they all have a different opinion in what it should or shouldn't be! Just booked another blood test on Friday to check iron and cholesterol levels again. I should also mention that I also have suffered with panic attacks for 30 years which came on after my first child was born so pretty messed up really! It's reasuring to know that I'm not the only one feeling like this because my immediate family don't understand and I don't have anyone close to share my feelings with.
    • Posted

Hey sorry for interupting.. I was searing the forums about low iron as I have been like this since having given birth. Heavy periods. Headaches absolutely drained was confirmed my iron was low. I saw ur comment about endometriosis but I just wanted to let you no I have this and it's severe was diagnosed at 16 after 7 operations and I now have 2 beautiful children aged 18 months and 3 months. So it's not always that u struggle to get pregnant. I've now had the coil put it and it's been great for me so far so good. Hope this helps in terms of diagnosis. Xx
  • Posted

Heysmile sorry for interupting.. I was searing the forums about low iron as I have been like this since having given birth. Heavy periods. Headaches and was confirmed my iron was low. I saw ur comment about endometriosis but I just wanted to let you no I have this and it's severe was diagnosed at 16 after 7 operations and I now have 2 beautiful children aged 18 months and 3 months. So it's not always that u struggle to get pregnant. I've now had the coil put it and it's been great for me so far so good. Hope this helps in terms of diagnosis. Xx
    • Posted

Apologies this was for kaz in the above post xx
  • Posted

Bit of an update. I had my iron levels checked again (7 weeks later) and my FBC was normal again (still not anaemic) but my ferritin iron stores had dropped from 28 to 16. Was really annoyed that the doctors classed this as normal again with such a drop in a small space of time! It must be dropping rapidly every month and with it getting right to the bottom of the normal range one more heavy period and it would be under the normal range. I spoke to the dr and after I said (again) that I feel terrible he said they would give me a months worth of iron tablets to start! Since then I felt a bit better for a week then had another heavy period and feel rubbish again. I have an ECG tomorow as I have been having palpitaions etc. Doctors still think I have anxiety... but I know its my iron. So fed up of it all.
    • Posted

Im the same been on iron tablets since August and will be until December so I don't no what my levels are but he said there going back just not quite where he wants them to be. I still have palpitations!! What do yours feel like? Mine just this out of nowhere and cause me anxiety I don't no if there happening because of anaemia or my anxiety towards the palpitations it's horrible really feel for you sweet xx
    • Posted

I know exactly how you are feeling. Over two years ago I found out that I had anemia. My anemia was so bad that I had PICA (strange eating disorder). I was eating 4-5 cups of ice a day. I knew this wasn't normal so I went to my PCP and my Ferritin levels were zero and my hemeglobin was 8. They gave me a shot of iron and put me on Ferrous Sulfate. Within 2 weeks I was feeling so much better. My periods weren't as heavy and as long. In August of 2014 my Ferritin levels were 80ng/mL and my Iron levels were 138ug/dL. Now, fastforward to today. I'm back to heavy/long period, heart palpations, weakness, chest pains, dizziness, and my hair has been falling out like crazy since around May of this year. I had my levels checked this past August and my Ferritin is 26 and Iron is 83.  Last week I went to OB/GYN for the 1st time in many years. I brought him my lab reports from the past 2 years. I showed him were my levels have been steadly dropping. He acted like it was no big deal, that low Ferrtin levels wouldn't be causing my problems. I told him when my Ferritin levels were up, that I wasn't have these sypmtoms. The range on my lab results for normal Ferritin levels are 11.0-306.8 ng/mL and for Iron 28-170 ug/dL. So I guess in his opinion, since I'm not below 11.0 everthing should be right as rain. NOT!!! He ordered for me to have an ultrasound. I had the ultrasound done today and come to find out I have an endometrial polyp. I will have it surgically removed in about 4 weeks. He told me the polyp could very well be causing my heavy bleeding and severe pain with menstration. I'm thinking the polyp is the reason I can't get my Ferritin and Iron levels up. They're gonna do the surgery and then see if that helps. In the meantime I'm gonna quit taking Ferrous Sulfate (325mg) and switch to Ferrous Fumarate with Vit. C. I was told the it is hard for the body to absorb the Ferrous Sulfate and that the Fumartate is easier to absorb and easier on the stomach. I'm hoping and praying I have found the answer to my problems. After dealing with this for years, I am so done with it. I am hoping and praying you will find out was going on with you, also.
  • Posted

I suggest you may have eating problems as well as iron depends upon what you consume. I hope you are eating an abundance of Brussels Sprouts? Go to Google and find out which foods are packed with iron like sprouts. You are not the only woman with heavy periods and for many it is normal.

XxmaimX She is NOT anaemic and it seems you didnt absorb her wording?

• Posted

Really unhelpful post. I don't have eating problems and I'm trying my best to eat iron rich foods. I have low ferritin which in itself causing symptoms even if I am not anaemic. I never suggested at any point that I was the only one with heavy periods. I have always had heavy periods but the past 12 months have been abnormally heavy and are now being investigated by gynae. I suggest you don't bother to comment unless it's constructive which your post wasn't.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.