Low mood

Posted , 11 users are following.

hi every one I've been very weepy lately and had another restless night could the pred be causing this ??

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

PMR is so devastating to a fit and active person that feeling miserable is inevitable. Coupled with the fact that very few recognise, sympathise or have even heard of it doubles the feelings of rejection and unfairness. You are not alone.... I can now recognise people with PMR just by the way they are walking down the street. In the supermarket I met a lady who was obviously suffering... I just said PMR and she hugged me ! We are having lunch next shopping day. 

PMR needs recognition.

i am coming up to two years after diagnosis and my doc told me it would probably go into remission after that..... No sign of any such thing unfortunately... But I still believe that one day I will wake up without it.

• Posted

Hi Christina Fay,

How nice you have found a new "friend"!!  You will both feel better having someone that understands this invisible disorder.  You can bolster each up and have "bitch" sessions to when you need them (and we do sometimes don't we😉).

Hope you wake up soon and it is gone!

hugs,

Diana🌸

• Posted

Forgot to add PMR can itself cause low mood..Do not know how to tell the difference;maybe Eileen or Ptolomey may know
  • Posted

I know it certainly has affected my mood and emotions Molly. I hardly recognise myself sometimes. And as for restfull sleep! Ha!

I hope it passes for you soon. If at very least you can find the cause, you can understand why it's happening. I'm tending to find if I embrace what pred is doing to me, it's helping me cope and fight. And of course being surrounded by others who understand helps zillions too.

• Posted

Your so right Karen I don't know what I would do without this forum , the information I got from rheumatologist made me believe I start taking pred and that's it everything is fine , he told me I might experience a flare up but didn't go to much into that ,it was just you take pred for about 18 months and that's it . He sent me a booklet by arthritis uk but that just glosses over everything no mention of low moods or lack of sleep etc
    • Posted

Same here from my gp. He hasn't referred me to a rheumy. Says there's no point as my bloods show nothing. Once the first dose of 40 mg kicked in, he told me to resume normal activities and start to reduce. Since then all he seems to want is lower another 5mg lower another 5mg and dismisses side effects, but I can tell it's because he doesn't kow not because he doesn't care. By default I have found another gp at the same surgery who is totally clued up on PMR so I shall be seeing her this morning. If it hadn't been for this forum I would have fallen into a very deep pit as I felt there had been a wrong diagnosis made. Why was I still feeling pain when I reduced? Why did I have horrific palpatations, why couldn't I sleep etc. Did you manage to get hold of the booklet "Living with PMR&GCA"
    • Posted

No having problems downloading form for the booklet will try again . I hope you have much better luck with this new GP I've managed to get an appointment for later today to discuss my feelings thanks for chatting 
    • Posted

Thanks everybody Dr was brilliant she has told me it's time to think of my health now and has given me a sick note ,I'm also using this as my period of notice I can't face going back to work and I'm lucky I can do without the money plus I want to have a clean break and concentrate on me. I'm pleased to say she also seemed to understand something about our condition and the steroids which was a relief , onwards and upwards now good luck everybody and thanks once again for your thoughts and support .
    • Posted

Good for you!  Perhaps you will start to feel better when you are able to heed your body's demands for rest during the day.  
    • Posted

Good luck;so glad you made that decision as your health is more important.If you have sick notes you might be able to get pension credits so you do not lose out at retirement age.Not sure but would be worth checking out-do not know if you are in UK.I only just found out I am entitled to them as main carer for adult son. Government does not offer what you need but sure take it off you quick enough

• Posted

Yes I'm hoping that's what's going to happen now Anhaga I'm free to to listen to my body properly 

best wishes to you all its great to share with people who know exactly what it's like

• Posted

hi Moly,

i guess you you have already learned that your symptoms go with the territory.  I do find when I get to a dose of pred that my body likes they get much better. When I decrease it takes a few days to adjust again.  

Have you tried changing the time of day you take your pred? Some find even splitting the dose helps with the difficulty sleeping and other symptoms.

Good luck with the doctor and don't get discouraged if she doesn't get it. There are others out there that will and you always have the experts on this forum to give you guidance. I could never have made it without them and my doctors are pretty good.

Hugs, Diana🌸

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.