Low morning cortisol

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am in the US. I have been diagnosed with seronegative rheumatoid arthritis. Over the past year I have also developed very low blood pressure that drops even lower when standing. For example today it is 82/48 and when I stand up it drops to 70/38. My cardiologist ordered a morning cortisol test. My total cortisol was 4.4. The lab range was 4.6-25. He dismissed the results as close to normal. I have also lost 22 pounds in the past five months due to stomach pain and I crave salt (drink lots of pickle juice). I know my cortisol is not terribly low in the one test, but is it possible I should follow up with family doctor and ask for further testing? What were your levels when diagnosed and how did the process of being diagnosed go? Thanks for any input. (I also had a surgery over a year ago and went into cardiogenic shock. My heart function fell to 16 percent and I almost died. Along with other meds, I was given massive doses of steroids for swelling in throats from the neck surgery. Could this babe been a crisis?) thanks everyone. I know you must get tired of answering questions like this.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You went through a lot Dena,  perhaps hard on the adrenals as well. 

?I went to a naturepath. These people are often better able to help you, especially when you fall 'outside' the established numbers with the concervative medical world.  He put me on Cortef.  Just a small amount each day and something called  Adrenal helper.  Both did make a difference.  Though it took a while before it started to make a difference.

• Posted

Dena, I typed a huge reply and it threw me out of the page, do u have an email address? Lisa
    • Posted

I sent you a PM with my email address. I appreciate an information you can share. Thanks!
  • Posted

Hi Dena,

I have normal cortisol level, but I too have blood pressure fluctuations and am salt wasting.  My aldosterone was near zero and I've been on fludrocortisone for about a year now.  I suggest you get a good endocrinologist and have a full work up.  Aldosterone controls the amount of salt and regulates the blood pressure in your body.  Your cardiologist won't know (or won't be the one) to order the right tests.  Check the thyroid too, to make sure it wasn't damaged in the neck surgery. Good Luck!

• Posted

Does anyone know if it is free cortisol or total cortisol that matters most when looking at things like Addison's disease? My total cortisol is slightly out of range, but the free cortisol is in range. I am not even sure what the difference is? Thanks? Anyone remember what your levels where when you were diagnosed? Everything that I have read says below six should be investigated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.