low vit d

Posted , 3 users are following.

my 22 year old son got told today he has too start taking vit d, is there any other blood that should be check  (b12?) all other bloods were normal, hes been really tired for weeks and off his food could this be the cause ?and should be get a dexa scan, 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

They reckon fifty per cent of the UK population have low vitamin D. What is his blood measurement? I would not have thought a Dexascan necessary at his age unless recommended by his GP. The important thing is for us to eat a good balanced diet, which a lot of us do not. The trouble with Vitamin D is that less than twenty per cent comes from food it is mainly from the sun. As we all use ridiculously high sun screens nowadays this blocks out the vit D. Also sitting indoors playing video games does not help either. 
  • Posted

Full blood count including iron test would be a good one seeing as he's tired. 

Just out of curiousity, what are his vitamin D levels? Is he vegan... if so a B12 check would be required to determine his levels. 

• Posted

hi is other bloods were normal hes not a vegan but does not eat much red meat, i will ask about B12 they didnt say what his level was just that there is a script waiting for him x
    • Posted

He should be feeling well within a month if the vit D supplements are a good dose. For levels below 25nmol/litre dosage should start at 10,000 IU for 3 months at least, then a lower dosage for maintenance if he should require them. Hope he's back to normal asap. x 
    • Posted

I thought it took about three months to build up the low vit D in the body? 
    • Posted

thanks am not sure what his level was , he has too take one 800 a day x
    • Posted

800IU a day is what I was prescribed with levels of 5mmol/litre. I had to go back to my GP 3 times to insist on higher doses and vegan alternatives. In the end, I bought my own from the manufacturers and am taking 10,000IU a day. I tried higher doses but they had a laxative effect on me.

I don't think the NHS care for vitamin D deficiency, nor do they want to prescribe adequate supplements. 

If your son'r levels are below 25mmol/litre, then he should be on HIGHER doses than 800IU a day.

Today I'm ringing my doctor to refer me to the hospital for an injection of vitamin D2 (Ergocalciferol) as my levels will not improve unless I get a higher dose and supplementing myself has flared up my Crohn's. They routinely do give injections - 300,000 IU - according to how deficient you are. I'm dying here!

• Posted

It can take up to 3-6 months to get vitamin D levels up to normal, but if taking higher doses, then you should be feeling the good effects within a month. 
    • Posted

Thanks Frank i will get him too call tomorrow and ask what his value was x
    • Posted

what were your symptoms Frank?
    • Posted

Agony. I have Osteomalacia (adult Rickets).

Rang my GP who says he'll check my levels in 4 weeks time.

I'm in pain 24/7 and have very little energy. I go to bed with a huge headache and wake up with an even bigger one. I also broke my thumb a few weeks ago, trying to assemble a metal bed. That's how soft my bones are. I've been referred to see a rheumatologist - only after insisting I see someone because this isn't right that I just swallow some supplements and wait for the pain to subside... Rheumatologist appointments are fully booked and there's a LONG waiting list. When I booked, over 6 weeks ago, I was told I was going to wait 14 weeks for an appointment as that was the soonest.

So I wait... Meanwhile I do more research on vitamin D and what doses I can tolerate along with ensuring I have adequate amounts of vitamin F and K (linolic acids and green veg). 

• Posted

B12 levels are exceedingly good as are my Calcium and electrolytes (Phosphate, Magnesium, Potassium). It's just my iron, blood and vitamin D that have been awful for a while and taking time to put right. Crohn's disease depletes my stores or something... But I wouldn't have a problem with my gut if my vitamin D levels were normal. Continuous circle. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.