Low Vitamin D result told to take supplments (newbie)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

After having health issues which raised concerns that I had thyroid problems I was tested, however my thyroid levels have always come back as no further action required.

This has been an on going issue for 3 years now, so I did some of my own research and found out about Parathyroid disorder.

I asked for blood tests for my Vitamin D and Calcium levels, my Vitamin D result was 24 but was not given my Calcium levels (but am going to speak to my doctor about this).

They have advised me that I need to start taking supplements.

Should I push for this to be investigated further or just go with Dr's advice?

My symptoms, have been gastro reflux, palpatations, stomach pains, constipation, aching legs/feet, sensation of something being stuck in my throat then more recently sore thumb & finger joints plus feeling tired and what I can only call a can't be bothered mood.

I am 38 smile

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

your vitamin D is low. You need vitamin D to facilitate calcium absorption...I would take calcium 500 units as well. Perhaps magnesium as well.

Clive is our resident expert on B12 and folate.

If you have them, you might consider posting your thyroid levels. It is not so simple as seeing if each level is inbetween two numbers. It is the relationships between the different levels. GPs are not trained in these nuances.

• Posted

Insist you get your calcium  results and let us know.  If not get the calcium level che ked at a local clinic (cost about £34).

• Posted

Thanks, I am going back to Dr's tomorrow as I need my bloods doing again my White Blood cell count has come back low so they want this testing again. So will ask for my Calcium level too.

• Posted

Telephoned the Doctors and they said my Calcium level was 2.20?

• Posted

The normal range for serum adjusted calcium level is 2.2-2.6.  Your result suggests hypocalcaemia.  I not a doctor and don't know much about this or where to look but you should do as much research as possible and badger your doctors since a below range figure should be checked out quickly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.