Lower back pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

After taking Cipro for a UTI, I have continuing lower back pain, a burning pain.

Is this likely to continue long term now?

I took the antibiotics for 5 days and stopped about 3 weeks ago.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It is possible that the Cipro has not got rid of the UTI. It is also possible that the back pain is a result of an adverse reaction to Cipro. Do you have any other symptoms like tendonitis or pins and needles in your limbs?
    • Posted

My last two urine samples were clear, so I guesscI don't have the UTI anymore.

Don't have any other symptoms apart from back pain and occasionally abdomen pain.

• Posted

You need to keep an eye out. Cipro adverse reactions can be delayed sometimes by several months especially for collagen related issues and neuropathy.
  • Posted

Hi Amanda,

It's true what Madge says, despite what doctors say you need to give it at least 6 months or more to be sure that the Cipro hasn't had any adverse effect. If this was your first course it's less likely to cause a problem but some people only take one tablet and get a whole lot of trouble from tendons, muscles etc. 

Be very careful not to take any Ibuprofen or any other NSAID or any steroids as these can suddenly bring on any adverse reactions  - which can be very severe.  I'm not trying to scare you, just to warn you that it's not worth risking even one Ibuprofen tablet.  Paracetamol will be ok if you have any headache or something.

If you can never take Cipro or any other Quinolone again you'll be doing yourself a big favour.  Look at floxie-hope for more information and stories of how bad the effects of Cipro can be.

Best Wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.