Lower legs and feet swelling, dignosed with PV 2 years ago

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all, I been here for sometime now. Lately my lower legs been swelling up.

I went to see a diffrent GP as my doctor was not availible, he had my notes tho.

He gave me fluid retaining tablets to take for maximum 4 days, my legs went back to normal but as son as I stopped the tablets they swell up again. I took the tablets again and they worked, but my doctor said not to take them on regular basis.

I'm on high dose blod pressure tablets, water retainers, 10.5mg warfarin as well.

Anyone else out there with this issue?

My other symptoms are: sleep apnea, itchy under feet, heat at night, pain in spleen.

I still work fulltime and 50 years old.

Cheers / Anna

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Orseblue  I'm not a dr but I've heard of leg & feet swelling with blood pressure meds.  I don't know if it's a Pv symptom or bp med problem.  Maybe you need to have your bp meds changed to a different class.  Not sure just thought I should throw that out here.  Zap

• Posted

Hi Orseblue it's just a guess on my part but my father had a problem with his ankles swelling and the dr said it was his bp med.  he switched to a different class and by class there are quite a few that lower bp in different ways.  There's ace inhibitors. Beta blockers, alpha blockers, calcium channel blockers and angiotensin receptor blockers or arbs.  One of these classes cause leg and ankle swelling or water retention.  Arbs do not.  Don't know what you're on but that could be the culprit.  It's worth a shot to see go and ask.  Good luck Zap ps ace inhibitors can cause

• Posted

Big thank you, it makes all sense what you are writing, sure will have a chat with my GP.

Hope you have a good weekend smile

• Posted

Hi Orseblue. I haven't had foot swelling, but maybe you are on your feet all day long? I was diagnosed 5 yrs ago, and have always been active. I try to walk every day if it isn't raining too hard. I also go to curves and use the machines. I believe exercise is important with PV cause it may prevent blood clots. I was diagnosed right after I retired, so having to work makes it harder to rest when tired. I sometimes find I need a nap in the afternoon. I am also trying to get my weight down to 120 because I weigh 126 and have a roll. I think gaining weight has made me have more symptoms. Itchiness is common with PV. I wish you lots of great luck in the new year.

harrishill 

• Posted

Thank you, I sit a fair bit on my job but visit clients on regular basis so ocan be active at times, my doctor wants me to do exercises.

Its when I am on my feet they swell for some reason.

• Posted

I have secondary Polycythemia. On my second visit with the Hemotologist in Canada my blood pressure pills were changed. Not to mention took mr off the two low dose aspirin and as a result from my tests I was put on blood thinners. We all have the same blood disorder whether it be primary or secondary. A rise in red blood cell counts. After a hot shower my back gets so itchy that I use a letter opener to relieve the itch. Your mess by sounds of it need addressing. Keep us posted.
  • Posted

Sorry I forgot to mention sleep apnea. That was one of the tests my Hemotologist ordered. The results came back as mild however I was diagnosed with COPD. I use a CPAC machine at night. The container is hust filled with distilled water. Took a bit to get used to but it has really helped me with energy. Keeps the airways open. I can't believe how much better I feel but sure took me time to get used to it. 

• Posted

I was told to use the cp machine, I am trailing the head brace at the moment, (at the moderate level after the sleep test), just cant do it yet.

Thanks for your feed back on the machine, it makes it easier to accept hearing positive feedback.

Cheers / Anna

• Posted

Oh and the itchy, I get that under my feet, I have scratched them red raw.

Night I get the boiling kettle feeling up my spine, so annoying

• Posted

Hi, I recognize symptoms I have been having even before being diagnosed. My feet itched like crazy (enough to keep me awake at night) and got really swollen at the end of the day. I have had it for about 2 years but mostly in summer when it's hot. My general practitioner had no idea what it could be, now I think it's related to my PV (diagnosed 2months ago). I'll see next summer if it's better. I take Aspirin and have regular phlebotomies which seem to have stopped my migraines so I'm hopeful the itching will stop also. When I have the itchy feet, taking Advil was the only thing that helped.

Marie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.