Lowering citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Well I've been on citalopram almost 2years. Was on 20mg to start but lowered to 10mg almost 6months ago due to not tolerating the higher dose. It's now time for me to come off it. I'm not happy with the weigh gain and always feeling drugged. I was wondering how everybody would taper off. The Dr's say oh it's only 10mg just stop it but I'm reluctant to do that as my body has got used to taking it now...... Any advice would be much appreciated thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison. I was in the same situation as you having been on 20mg daily for about 3 years. Coming off too quickly caused many problems so I halved the daily dose, stayed with that for a couple of months, then took it down to 5mg daily (by cutting the pills in half). This has worked well for me with no side effects.  When I  then tried to cut it down to 5mg alternate days I started to get a few withdrawel symptoms again.  I went to my doctor for advice and she suggested I carry on for another  month on the daily dose, then to try alternate days.  This was about 6 weeks ago. As I find Christmas extremely stressful at the best of times Ive decided to wait till the new year before I reduce the dose again.  As I understand it, the brain  needs to adjust to making its own seratonin again, but will do if you reduce gradually.  Hope that helps.  I'm near the end of my  journey with the drug now, but you are plainly midway through the reduction.   Hope that helps.

• Posted

Hi Simon. Thanks for replying.

I actually lowered it to 7.5 mg as I was so scared of withdrawal.

All ive noticed so far is very vivid dreams! I guess I need to stay on this dose for a gd while yet.

Glad to hear you havent noticed much withdrawal :-) hoping I will be the same

• Posted

Gaaaaah!!  What is wrong with some doctors!!  Never just stop your meds - it's not JUST 10mg for some.

I spent this last year withdrawing and have now stopped.  I bought a pill cutter / crusher and went from 20mg / 15mg / 10mg / 5mg / 2.5mg / 1.25mg / 0 (crushing the last 5mg as too small to cut it) and spent around 2 months on each lowered dose.  I had no withdrawl doing it this slow (unlike the first time years ago when I withdrew by bigger steps).

Ive now been off meds a few months now.

• Posted

If your GP feels just to stop go by that. 10mg is not a high dose so you should be ok. Heavy doses are 20mg or 40mg and they will need to be reduced over a longer period.

If you are having problems talk to your GP

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.