LPR breakthrough

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello fellow suffers.

This post is only really for silent reflux suffers as iv never had heartburn or indigestion which seems to be the most common symptoms of typical gerd.

Iv been following this discussion group since I was 1st diagnosed with lpr in may this year, although I think looking back now id been suffering for a long time.

My symptoms were mainly coughing and wheezing especially after eating and much worse at night and mornings, also had breathlessness, burning throat, hoarseness, pain to shout,and phlegm like spit up all the time, was constantly at docs and always put on antibiotics, steroids, and sinus sprays, all failed to help.

Eventually after months of feeling terrible and a few hospital stays for "asthma attacks" a gp sent me for an endoscope and put me on omeprazole. Endoscope confirmed lpr, I was to take 20mg in morning and 20mg evening of omeprazole. Had no other advice from docs, so this is when I found this group and learned about all the other things I could be doing to help such as raising bed head, eating little and often and foods that may make symptoms worse.

This all helped alot although I was still struggling and still suffered with all the symptoms, but only at night after my dinner (which I had brought forward to 5pm, so I was a good 5hrs without eating before bed).

My breakthrough came a couple of weeks ago, all I did was this- I still take a 20mg omeprazole tablet 1st thing (at least half hour before breakfast) then 10 minutes before eating any meal drink a table spoon of hunegar (a mix of apple cider vinegar and honey) which you can buy ready mixed from health shops mixed with half a glass of water, then take your next 20mg of omeprazole mid afternoon and NOT evening which is when most people are told to take it! This helped me enormously with my evening meal, and gave me a much better night.

The apple cider vinegar and water I drink 3 times a day (before breakfast lunch and dinner).

I can honestly say by doing this I feel for the 1st time in months that I have some control over this horrible depressing illness.

I know this advice will not work for everyone as we are all so unique but it wouldn't do any harm in trying I suppose.

I'm sorry for long post but I really want to try and help as this illness is not recognized enough in the medical field.

I'm a young active mum of 2 little ones, don't drink, don't smoke, am not overweight so it just shows it can effect anyone!

I would like to wish you all the best of luck to you all and thanks for all the support and advice on here xx

6 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Laura, Thanks for the post.

It's great you've found something that helps you.

The DownWithAcid org uk book and website has a list of many different "natural" remedies that others have found helpful.

• Posted

Barretts you are a legend to me 😊

I have already been to downwithacid on your recommendation to someone else and it helped me enormously, so thankyou.

I wish there were doctors like you out there as no one seems to be able to advise sufferers in a way you can, I'm so pleased I found this group.

I have actually just asked you a question attatched to someone else's post. As I do still suffer with a bit of wheezing and coughing in mornings which thanks to you I have found out its due to refluxate entering my respiratory system, I wanted to know I if this was actually acid that was entering my airways? And could this cause any serious/permanent damage to my respiratory system?

Thanks again for all your advice you have helped my understanding of all this so much x

• Posted

Just answered your other post.

Reflux doesn't have to be acidic to cause damage.

• Posted

Hi Laura

I have the symptoms of silent reflux and unluckily symptoms of chronic reflux . My doc has just upped my dose of lansoprale to 90mg . But I m still suffering on a daily basis. I m waiting for endoscopy.

My ears are always painful and blocked and doc has not helped me at alll. I am always clearing my throat, and feel the mucus at back of throat all the time with the something stuck in my throat symptom too.

I have also started to have the odd nose bleed. Will try the vinegar as anything that helps I appreciate. Do u know if anything relieves the constant mucus and probs with my ears?? Thanks x

• Posted

Hi Sharon.

1st of all you have my sympathies I suffered with all those symptoms. It was only from a recent discussion with barretts on the site that I realised the lpr and ear problems are connected, I have suffered with ear problems for years, with pain, blockages, and an "underwater" sound, unfortunately I do still get that from time to time 😞. The mucas problem I have got under control... For me I found I worse towards the end of the day, I am a busy hairdresser I finally realised that my mucas wasn't as bad on my days off! I think what happened was the reflux inflamed my larynx so it was producing excess mucas as a way of lubricating and protecting it! Much to my husbands delight I decided to go on voice rest for a day to see if tho helped, and sure enough I had no mucas all day, as I was resting my larynx!

Obviously we can not live our lives without talking (I definitely cant!!) but try to rest you voice as much as poss, avoid shouting, singing, alcohol, caffine and smoking as this irritates too.

Also gargling the apple cider vinegar before swallowing helps.

Obviously I'm not a doc, this is just what helps me after months of suffering alone with very little medical help and advice. I hope you find something from this that helps as unless you go through it know one can understand how terribly life effecting and depressing this horrible illness can be xx

• Posted

Look at the page on Extra-Oesophageal Reflux on the DownWithAcid org uk site which explains the problems you are having.

The solution lies more with controlling the reflux than with controlling what you eat.

• Posted

Totally agree with barretts,

Iv tried all the"alkaline" diets, cutting so called "trigger foods" this was no use to me at all.

I think with lpr the symptoms are controlled more with the amount you eat (ie little and often), never over fill yourself.

And when you eat (I always eat at least 4 hours before bed) and always leave at least half hour after taking a ppi and eating a meal. X

• Posted

Thanks so much will look at site now. I see a different doctor every time I go, the last one offered me no help at all

Just said the hospital would deal with it when I have my endoscopy. I told her I was worried because of weight loss and not getting the vitamins and nutrients my body needed. Her response was to have smoothies. My stomache can t tolerate hardly anything espically most fruit. Then she upped my lansoprazole to 90 mg, I have really lost faith in them .

• Posted

Thank you for your post, I will certainly try hunegar, will let you know if it works, and I will go on the site that Barretts has recommended, I too am pleased I have found this group x

• Posted

Hi laura98485,

I've been suffering from silent reflux for almost a year now. Been to my medical doctor and a ear nose and throat doctor. Both seem to think that I have reflux. I had a endoscopy and a Upper GI. The Edoscopy showed that I was refluxing and with a lot of inflammation. The Upper GI didn't. I only seem to have symptoms of the throat, nasal passages, ears, and eyes. Both doctors prescribed 40 mg omeprazole with what looks like a endless supply of refills. But, so far its not working. Upon instruction of my doctor I lifted my bed up off the floor. Still no relief. I also changed my diet again no relief. I just found out two days ago about the apple cider vinegar. So far I have only taken about one to one and one-half teaspoons per day. The first time I took it I had a headache. The headache went away and the burning seemed to stop for a while. So I took a little more. Still had a slight headache the next day after eating and more burning. I guess I should keep trying it?  What foods do you eat? Any more advice? Is the vinegar still working?

• Posted

Hi Asel.

Yes its all still working for me. My endescope results were exactly the same as yours, all gi results clear, but showed major inflamation to the back of my throat and bleeding to my larynx, I also had really bad "asthma" symptoms and a terrible cough. I think its a combination of the apple vinegar and the omeprazole thats helping me. Im not symptom free, but certainly feeling much better. I feel for you i know exactly how horrible it can be. I'm also on 40mg daily.. Can I ask how long you have been on omeprazole and when do you take your doses? As I found tweeking that helped. For me I found I can not tolerate any fizzy drinks or chocolate, which is depressing but it helps! X

• Posted

Also, chewing gum helps with the throat problems, and alkaline drops in water make it much easier to drink, as I don't know about you but even water burned the back of my throat x

• Posted

Hi laura98485,

My medical doctor put me on omeprazole for only one month. After the upper GI he told me to stop taking it. He did write me another prescription though. At my last office visit he referred me a ENT because my nose constantly runs (Not heavy but its always clear) and my right ear would hurt and all of the burning of course. My ENT put me back on the omeprazole he said I should have been on it longer than a month. So I have been taking it everyday now for about three months, 40 mg 1x a day, 30 minutes before breakfast. I read on the internet somewhere that it takes months before meds like omeprazole really start to work. During my visit with my ENT he said that I was refluxing during the endoscope exam. He also said that I had a deep imbedded sinus infection. So I’m also on Nasacort and Claritin. He told me that all of these symptoms are just running together. He feels as if the reflux is causing the sinus problems. And my right ear hurting is a result of laying on my right side and the reflux flowing back up drained mostly on that side when I lie down. The right ear and the right side of my throat always bother me. I guess all the months of not knowing what was wrong with me didn’t help. I can’t tolerate dinks, coffee, or chocolate either. Eating has been a struggle. I recently purchased a book called Dropping Acid : The Reflux Diet Cookbook & Cure by Jamie Koufman and M.D. Jordan Stern and Marc Bauer. I don’t know yet if it will be helpful yet, I’m still reading it. It lists a lot of foods that a refluxer can eat and it also list the harmful foods as well. This is my third day to try the vinegar. So far today no headaches and seems to be no burning. And I haven’t even taken it for today yet. Sorry about the long reply. But Its good to speak to someone that can relate.

Hope that you continue to feel well!

• Posted

Yes when I drink water it will burn. I did find information about chewing sugar free gum.
    • Posted

Don't worry about long replies, I too get comfort from this site, its good to know your not alone (although I wouldn't wish it on anyone!) originally I was told to take 40mg omeprazole in morning, my GP told me to change to 20mg in morning before food then another 20mg about half hour before evening meal. I have been on omeprazole for about 12weeks, and its only the last 2 weeks I have started to feel better, i have also been taking the apple vinegar for couple weeks so i don't know if its the omeprazole kicking in or the vinegar or the combo of both but iv definitely felt better. If iv been talking for a long period of time then my throat is agony and I still get a little breathless after a big meal, bit in comparison to how iv felt over the last 8 months its such an improvement.

I think you may have something called post nasal drip, it often goes hand in hand with lpr, has this been suggested to you?

• Posted

Yes Laura, my doctor told me about the post nasa drip. Im currently taking

flonase and claritin. my ENT did day that the reflux run hand in hand.

• Posted

Thank you, this was very helpful, newly diagnosed last week, I will try these tips mentionned and hope they help me to, how is everybody doing with this, since this discussion is years old?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.