LPR/Silent Reflux Gastristis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I had two upper endoscopies within the past year and am 23 years old. I had multiple ulcers in the duodenal and antrum due to excessive acid and with ppi and h2 treatment on my 2nd endoscopy they have healed about 80%. I feel a lot better too. After my 2nd endoscopy my gastrodoc said there was bile in the stomach and mild gastristis which can be normal and made me have an ultrasound. Everything came back normal but he said there is slight fat on the liver which too can be normal. I had grade B oesophagitis during my first endoscopy but that went to grade A during my 2nd. I am puzzled why there wasnt any bile during the first endoscopy but during the second it showed? I read some articles online that said the pyloric valve cant close properly if you had ulcers so some bile can leak into the stomach but dont know if that is causing it. My doctor didnt seem to be worried at all however he said my ulcers have normal healing tissue. I am currently taking 150 mg h2 every other day and it is pretty good. I do get some burning sensation here and there but it is not a lot only when I get really hungry. Any tips (already changed my diet and exercise/drink water regularly) or suggestions on what to next would be greatly appreciated or any further tests anyone recommends!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Everything sounds good to me. Your acid hyper-secretion has been brought under control and there's no permanent damage.

It is not unusual to find bile in the stomach. In 1833, William Beaumont (who some say is the "father" of gastroenterology recorded this finding: “I have observed that when the use of fat or oily food has been persevered in for some time, there is generally the presence of bile in the gastric fluids.”

It seems if we eat fatty foods or processed meats, we may frequently require bile to assist with the digestion. They do not break down in acid and need the assistance of bile to act like a detergent to help the process.

If bile frequently refluxes along with acid, it can cause the development of Barrett's Oesophagus to protect the body from digesting itself but can also, in a few cases, mutate to cancer.

• Posted

Hi Barretts,

I always see you commenting on people's issues and giving great advice, I appreciate the help. I only eat chicken or turkey as the meat choice and do not eat fried/high fat food so maybe this will help in the long term. This whole situation just sucks as I am only 23 years old while my friends are going out getting and getting bombed every weekend. I just hope it goes back to normal soon. 

• Posted

Hi Vergil,

It sounds like you are being sensible with your diet and I hope things calm down for you. It can be a real pain, particularly at your age, if you have to constantly think what you're doing when you want to eat or drink.

The only extra advice is really that to reduce reflux:

Lose weight if necessary, avoid tight clothing or exercise after meals that may compress the stomach. Leave at least 3 hours between eating your last meal and going to bed. If reflux symptoms persist, you may wish to try raising the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches on blocks.

If problems continue, talk to your doctor again.

If necessary, they could test your stomach is emtying properly, and pyloric sphincter functioning correctly, by performing barium meal and/or enteroclysis tests. (Look up "Upper gastrointestinal series" on wikipedia.)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.