LPR / Silent Reflux sadness. Do you have blocked ears?

Posted , 35 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I have had LPR for two years without much success with PPIs. I do not get the burning but i do get a constant mucus feeling in my throat, some coughing, tightness in back of chest and above all the feeling that my ears are blocked all the time and post-nasal drip. All i want to do is sleep now because it is making me very sad and lonely.

When will this all end?

4 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Silent reflux can cause the ears and nasal and other things. A lot of people will say there is no connection, that it is separate, but I am sure they are wrong. It is horrible, I had it for a long time.
    • Posted

Hi Carmel,  Did you mean you had it for a long time or have had it for a long time if it is the first how did you get rid of it and how long did take.

Did it resolve completely  I agree it is all conneted nasal,throat,ears and asthma as well which I have.

• Posted

hi Libra. I had it for quite a while and it came on gradually after I had had lots of antibiotics. The first two doctors kept saying I was imaginging it or it had nothing to do with the antibiotics. I increased my biotics and improved my diet and it got a bit better. It is not sorted but it is far better than it was. For months I was taking cimetidine for it but then I ha\d a terrible cough. One stupid doctor said the cough was nothing to do with it.

Yet research showed that some people get a bad cough from cimetidine and it was that as when I stopped taking this medicine the coughing stopped. So it is management now without that medicine but not 100% Hope you are feeling ok.

• Posted

It's horrible I kmow, I take it ypu have seen ypur doctor, you need tests done to find out exactly what the problem is then I'm sure you can start t egg the right treatment to put it right 
    • Posted

Hello Lovelane09.

It is always with me 24 hour 7. Only time I get relief is when I sleep. I am dead to the world. The Dr has given me Lansaprazole 30mg twice a day but it makes me very very tired and I have to work in the daytime.

What are your symptons? I hope you are getting relief from all this ....

• Posted

If only it were that simple! I don't think Elle wanted simple advice, things she can work out herself, she wanted to swap notes and get sympathy.
    • Posted

Hello Carmel,

I wish it was that simple too. Anyway back to business - does anyone know of any relief from the feelin of blocked ears. This is causing me the most distress. I was reading about Eustashian tube being blocked and one person suggested covering one nostril with your finger, breath in thorugh the other nostril and then breathing out through the nostril which was covered ( releasing finger of course). I am going to try this.

Gosh i read your previous post Carmel, are your symptons more managable now and the secret question is how did you do it smile I had this for two years. I suppose you think it go away on its own but it does not...

• Posted

Hello Elle 1234,  I know how you feel.  See my post Silent reflux or something else.

To anwer you question regarding your ears.  Mind often feel itchy and sometimes like I have an ear infection but it goes.  I have the constant mucus in the throat have only started omeprazole yesterday.  I only slept abour 2 hours last night pain from arthritis and continuous retching.  I am so tired and my mouth and lips so dry.

When I go back to Gp if omeprazole has not helped my gp might change my blood pressure medication as this mucus thing is one of the side effects.  I am  66 now

and feeling very down with pain in knees and legs and this throat thing.

• Posted

Hello,

Gosh how long have you had yours for ? 3ladylibra13.  I do not have the itching of ears but I do feel like the whole of my ears are blocked sad. I do not know what to take for it. 

I am seeing a gastro he gave me Lansaprazole 30mg twice a day. I could not take it because it was making me extremely tired and I have to go to work. So I hope to see him next week and tell him. 

This disease is very sad. And when I was reading this board - I wished I had a magic wand to get rid of this problem for everyone. 

• Posted

Hello,  Not sure really in 2007 I got some sort of virus I suppose tight chest,

sore  dry mouth and felt ill for several weeks.  It was around my 60th birthday which I could not celebrate.  I had a sinus scan which was fine.  I was left with the hacking up of mucus not as bad as it is now.  It finally improved to the point where I could cope. Often it would start with a session of sneezing followed by excess mucus but would only last about 1/2  hour at a time.  It made colds worse.  Back then I had no gastic issues, just asthma.  Now I have IBS and anxiety which I am seeing a councillor for plus other things and arthritis pain.  So you could say that I have had it for 7 years but not like it has been for the last couple of weeks.

Surely they must know what causes it and how to treat it. I am overwhelmed with all these problems I feel like if this carrys on I will not have much of a life.   All the best to you

• Posted

Elle, I just had the blocked ears. Felt like they were stuffed with cotton wool. Saw a few weird solutions on youtube. It looks like the eustation tube gets blocked. What I did was hold my nose tight shut and blew hard. This put pressure into the tubes. I then holding my nose tight tried to breath in hard. This applied suction to the tubes. I did this a couple of times an could actually feel something coming out of the tubes and onto my nasel pallet. I did this about three times a day for two days and it was almost cured. I think if the tubes are left blocked then it can cause damage in the ear.
    • Posted

Hello everyone,

Just to let you know. I has an upper endoscopy and am very perplexed. My upper endoscopy was normal ! How can this be?! 

For all those who had not had an upper 

Endoscopy please do not be frightened. 

I was. I had mine with light sedation. By the time the nurse put the mouth guard in in was asleep!  

Afterwards I had slight tummy cramps. I am 

Due to see the gastro-doctor soon. 

Just to let you all know I am drinking 

Aloe vera juice in water everyday and it 

Kind of lessens the post nasal drip. However still have blocked ears and 

Mucus in throat. 

• Posted

Hi, Good new on your endoscopy.  Perhaps the gastro dcotor will be able to throw more light on why you are suffering.  Have you seen an ENT doctor as well?  Just thought if you could approach it from all angles.  When I see the gp again I am going to ask for gastro and ENT if I can.  I also have been plagued with oral thrush since starting asthma inhalers a few years ago.  I wonder do you have any problems with this.  I wonder if I have it again since this mucus throat started up again.  Good luck and 

keep in touch with the forum.  

ps might try aloe vera juice in water

• Posted

Hello libralady, 

Thank you for your kind words. We all will

Get to the bottom of this. 

Yes try a bit of aloe vera juice in some 

Bottled water. Try and nourish the body. 

I try to think of other ideas as well and let you know. I went to an ENT and she diagnosed reflux but the endoscopy with the gastro was clear. I heard that with LPR, an endoscopy can come back clear...

What are the extent of your symptoms at the moment smile 

• Posted

Beg your pardon libralady, you can buy aloe 

Vera from holland and barretts. It comes in a bottle and when I drink it neat it feels very acidic so I mix it with aloe vera. Try a little capful with some bottled water and sip for the whole day.

X

I live in London and was wondering if anyone on this forum would like to meet for a cup of well whatever we can drink and a chat I would love to do that with you. X. 

• Posted

I have registered just to answer your question about the thrush. I, too could name every ailment listed on this page. I had a virus about 2-3 years ago. Developed asthma. Tight chest,  head congestion, ears congested, and hoarse. The hoarsness continues til today. Hearing loss got hearing aids ..do not help.'Have crohns' diverticulits and now the hoarsness continues and am almost certainly got Silent Reflux.. O'k now

. the thrush I was on Symthroid and Albuteral.. It was very important to rinse my mouth after the asthma inhalers. It is a small thing but wondered if you were doing that.

• Posted

Hello  Sorry to hear you are suffering so much.  I do hope you can find some relief.  Yes I do know to rinse mouth out after asthma inhalers but I do think some people are just more prone to getting thrush.  What I do find it that after Christmas and if I have a cold then I'm more likely to get a bout of thrush and definitley more throat mucus although after a throat scope was told it is rhinitis I have not silent reflux. I think it maybe to do with being run down at Christmas and eating too many goodies.  I lot has happened during the last year or two.  Family illness and a house move all of course which has been quite stressful and anxiety which is my biggest enemy.  Both my husband and myself are undergoing tests at the moment so still an anxious time.  Thank you for taking the time to post about the inhalers.  I wish you well for the future.

• Posted

Hi did you ever figure out how to get rid of blocked clogged ears???!! I have that all the time 😕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.