LS and cold/flu illness

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all...just putting this out there to see if anyone else can identify with this or is it just me?

It seems that when my immune system is under attack from viral/bacterial pathogens I really take a beating from it..or anything that makes my body's immune system kick in.

At present I have flu and it's taking ages to clear up and my LS has flared and I have an extreme case of thrush! I feel absolutley devoid of any energy and ache all over.

I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself but am I imagining that it is worse because of the LS or is my body really compromised because of it?

Also my dermatologist discharged me in March saying there was no active LS - well she needs to see it now! Had a bad stressful year and need to get re referred but been putting it off.

I'd be happy to hear anyone else's thoughts on this.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

After a bout of flu last year I had a major flare up, I suffer from stress incontinence so with the constant coughing I had to wear pads , I tried all of the usual cold and flu remedies, but the LS was getting worse. I realised apart from my immune system being attacked all the medicines I was taking  were affecting my urine , which was affecting  the LS. I had suffered long enough so went to my GP and was given antibiotics for the chest infection, I know GP s don't like giving out antibiotics but if they know that you suffer from LS the problems we face with infections , if I get flu again this winter I won't wait while my LS flares up badly as it takes a long time for it to stabilise again . Only we sufferers know painfull it is , almost makes it impossible to walk about when it's at it's worst. Hope you get better soon

• Posted

Thank you Judy for your well wishes. 

I wish my doctor was as understanding. I just got off the phone with her and she wasn't at all interested in the connection I was making between the illness and flare. Her advice was to keep using the Dermovate and maybe she will re refer me after taking a look! I think I know what to look for and shouldn't have to go through the unnecessary ordeal of just one more person looking at my bits- doctor or not! I find it so frustrating that only LS sufferers know what each of us deals with and the connections with other illness etc. sad

I'm glad your doctor is more clued up Judy. smile

• Posted

Hi i can relate to this, i recently had a bad head cold and i'm only just getting over it and i had a bad flare up with my LS as well. It seems to be subsiding now that i'm getting over the cold. 

• Posted

Hi Jessicat...there must be something in it then and not just coincidence.

Last year I was stung on the head by a bee,my whole forehad swelled up for three days and I looked like a 'Cling-On' from Star Trek! My immune /histamine system went mental and I had the WORST flare in my life - a week of blood red tissue (the whole area down there) and the worst itching I've ever experienced ever! Never seen anything like it.

So I definitely think our systems overreact to inflammation caused in the body.

• Posted

This sounds very similar to my recent situation! I was going all good after seeing a consultant and getting steroid cream. And then I had some personal stress, which resulted in lower immune system and I caught a hideous cold. Not the flu, but one of those awful head colds with fevers etc. And throughout all this I had a really bad flare up. I'm sure it can't be a coincidence. 

In fact my gyno said that LS would be a lot like my asthma is now - I know what sets it of and so I need to manage it to make sure it doesn't, or if it does, learn how to get it back to normal. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.