LS and UTIs

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started having aches everytime I passed water a couple of months ago but it came and went. However, for the past two weeks it never went away and has elevated to an extreme burning sensation. Desperate, I went to a drop-in clinic last night and he gave me Cipro for a UTI. The only thing is, I'm not convinced I have a UTI. The burning sensation seems to be more centred around the clotoris area. I don't recall having a UTI before, is this how it feels? I didn't tell the doctor on duty about my LS because quite frankly I sick of seeing doctors at the moment and sick of doctors seeing me (if you know what I mean) and didn't want to get into that discussion with him.

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Did he test your urine for blood and bacteria, or do a urine culture? That is the way to know for sure if it is a UTI. SYMPTOMS OF IT I ARE BURNING UPON URINATION, SOMETIMES PRESSURE IN BLADDER, NOT FULLY EMPTYING BLADDER, FREQUENCY, BLOOD IN URINE.If you take the Cipro and start feeling better, chances are you had a BLADDER infection.Drink lots of water.
    • Posted

Yes, he did a test in the office but he wasn't sure of the diagnosis because I am spotting. So he said he would send it off to the lab but it will take a few days to get the results. He started me on Cipro stating I should see some relief by the time I went to bed. I did see some relief but today and tonight it has been awful - to the point I cry everytime I pee and I've had to use an ice pack to numb the area.

I have read about other people having trouble with their urethra closing and I am so scared and worried.

• Posted

One more thing... the burning is constant. Is this how it feels to have a 'flare up'?

If it is, how do people cope psychologically? I'm typically a very strong person but this has really done a number on me.

• Posted

Is the urine coming out in the normal amount?There is a drug at the pharmacy called pyridium. It anesthetises the area when you urinate. You do not need a prescription.Ask the pharmacist.It will make your urine Orange, but should eliminate the BURNING.If this is an infection, you should see relief from antibiotics soon, but it may take up to 4-5 days to get culture back.
    • Posted

I have a small glass spray bottle FILLED with spring bottled water. Ever time I urinate, I spray after with water. This keeps the area free of urine and is soothing. Do not use any soap in the area.Try to keep it free of all irritation including underwear. I do not wear any, and find that skirts are best. I cannot wear jeans or slacks at all. My best friend has been the spray bottle.
    • Posted

Tx, Cynthia I will look into that tomorrow for sure. He only gave me enough pills to last until Monday so fingers crossed it will be healed by then. If not I will call for an appointment with my LS gyne on Monday. I was supposed to see my Adenomyosis gyne today but had to reschedule it due to the discomfort of this issue. I know we need doctors but I really need a break from them. It seems like I am seeing a different one each month. sad I went 20 years without needing to see one except for annual exams. Once I hit 43 my body started to betray me. Check out my info - I made it public.
    • Posted

I have a Japanese toilet seat which has been quite miraculous. I never have any tearing anymore beacuse there is rarely any abrasion down there. My director at work has allowed me to telework 4.5 days per week, so on the half day I go in I try to avoid the washroom. If I need to have a BM I pack my laptop etc and leave for the day. I have been wanting to try the portable hand held version of the japanese toilet so that I can get back to the office full time. If you know if anyone who has tried it please let me know their experience. I am thinking it will be embarassing/inconvenient to use in a busy washroom.

While I am at home I too only wear underwear when necessary.

• Posted

Hi Cynthia, I ordered mine online from The Home Depot - dead easy to install. I did it myself! Yes, it is like a bidet. There is a little pipe which comes out and sprays water on the area. You can adjust the force level, water temp, etc. You can even set it to keep the seat warm which is nice during the cold Canadian winter. Afterwards you press a button which sterilizes it. Costs about $700 CAD. But there are cheaper models than the one I purchased.
  • Posted

Lisa, speaking as a former gyn nurse, UTI's usually exhibit by burning upon urination, lower or mid back pain, fever, sometimes inability to pee. Have you looked in the mirror? Do you have LS around the clitoris? Do you have a prescription for a steroid cream that you can apply to the area that is burning? Did you begin the Cipro? Did he have you leave a urine sample, preferably a catheterized specimen? Please call your gyn on Monday and ask an appointment or at the very least ask for futher directions from your doctor. UTI's can become a hospital stay if left untreated. In the meantime, cranberry juice and plenty of water. Keep those kidneys well flushed.
    • Posted

Hi Mary, Yes I know that I've had LS in the clitoris area since June. I took a look at it in the mirror tonight to try and see if there is any change and there has been. The whole thing looks like a horror show in my opinion so I don't do it too often. I am supposed to apply Clobetasol 3 times per week but because I often have lengthy periods due to Adenomyosis & I sometimes skip it. I know I shouldn't but I find the task distasteful when I'm menustrating. There is pain and burning when I urinate, but the burning doesn't go away. I have a bidet toilet seat and just tried letting that run while I pee and it helps.

I don't understand it all really. Last night I had some relief, even woke from my sleep and had normal volume pees but with some pain. But today and tonight it did not continue to improve - instead it has been continuing to worsen.

• Posted

Lisa, try to take Tylenol or Advil, some anti-inflammatory to reduce inflammation.really good that you are rinsing off after or during URINATION.
    • Posted

Just took 2 extra strength Tylenol and drinking Cranberry juice while I write this.

I guess there are worse things than LS that can happen to you, right?

Mind you, right now UTI seems pretty darn awful!!!!

• Posted

How old are you..are you in menopause or post menopause yet?
    • Posted

47, I don't think I am in menopause yet. I have a mirena IUD for adenomyosis so that may be masking menopausal symptoms. I first noticed symptoms of LS about 3 years ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.