LS breastfeeding and long term maintenance

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. New to this group, but hoping to get advice on treating LS whilst breastfeeding and also in the longer term.

I am 32 and was diagnosed with LS 2 years ago after a biopsy of a small red bruise on my inner labia. My only other symptom was itching at night.

I only had a handful of flare ups (itching at night) after diagnosis, that I had been treating with dermovate. However, I then got pregnant and am now breastfeeding a 3 month old and as of 2 days ago am having another flare up. My doctor gave me hydrocortisone cream (1%) to use whilst pregnant and I have since read it's ok to use whilst breastfeeding, so have been putting it on once before bed. My questions are as follows:

-how much should I be putting on and how often? Can I over do it?

-Can I use something stronger (whilst breastfeeding) if the hydrocortisone doesn't help soon?

-In the long term (after I finish breastfeeding), given that my main symptom is currently just itching and possibly a little whitening of my perineum, should I be using cream only to get rid of the itching? Or more regularly to prevent any itching (and more worryingly) changes to my skin occurring in the first place? And if so, what sort of cream and how often?

-I also wonder about preventative treatment as I worry skin changes may occur without me actually experiencing any irritating symptoms. Or that by the time I start to itch, little changes will already have occurred. Does this happen? And should I therefore be using a cream every few weeks simply as a preventative measure even when I am symptomless? And if so what sort and how often?

Sorry this is quite long. Am up breastfeeding, so have time on my hands and lots of questions going round in my mind!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

On re-reading my post, the last two points are basically the same question twice!! Sorry, it is the middle of the night, so I am not at my sharpest!

I hope it all makes sense and I can get a bit of advise. I worry that having LS from the age of 30 means I won't be able to keep unwanted changes at bay for long enough and that symptoms and damage will only progress and worsen as I get older.

• Posted

Frankie, you have LS milder than I did (mine started with tearing of the perineum at age 22). I wasn't diagnosed till my sixties. My real atrophy and fusing started with menopause.

Although I was never prescribed steroid ointment for my vulva, I was using creams for psoriasis the whole time and I suspect the slight systemic absorption gave a fairly steady low dose to the LS.

So, first I think you're flaring now because the pregnancy hormones that usually put LS in remission are gone now. If I were you I'd keep using the low potency steroid daily while nursing, then ask your gynaecologist for Dermovate when you've weaned the baby. If your perineum is getting white you shouldn't abandon treatment.

Do use oils and barriers like Vaseline to protect flared flesh from urine and sweat.

• Posted

Thank you for replying Morrell. I really don't want this to cause me to stop breastfeeding early so that I can use stronger cream, as I love breastfeeding and would like to continue with it a few times a day for a good few months even after we start our son on solids, so hopefully the hydrocortisone will take effect soon!

I hope you don't mind me asking a few more questions?...

This is the only flare up that I have actually noticed burning from urine, so I will definetely take your advice and start putting Vaseline on as a barrier. When do you do this so it does not interfere with the hydrocortisone cream I apply?

Can I reverse the whitening on my perineum with cream as it isn't too bad, or am I stuck with it?

Looking back at things I have always found sex painful, which I thought was psychological, but now think may have been undiagnosed LS, so perhaps I have had it since I was a teenager.

Do you think fusing and atrophy will be inevitable for me post menopause as I will have had LS for years by then or was this the case for you as you were still undiagnosed at that point?

Also, once this flare up is under control and I am not experiencing any symptoms again (hopefully!) do I continue to use a cream just to keep things at bay/stop any changes happening without me experiencing symptoms (can this happen??)? If so, which cream would you recommend and how regularly should I use it?

Thank you again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.