LS, IBS, and work environment hot and sweaty. How do I reduce irritation?

Posted , 9 users are following.

With the LS just the pain alone is overwhelming. IBS makes it a daily struggle to not irritate and tear while getting clean. And I work construction so I'm hot, sweaty, and in pain all day. The Porta potty is less than ideal. Not working is not an option, as this is our business. It's just the way it is. I live in a rural area where the job market is terrible and this is how we make a living. I've tried the panty free option, the panty liner or mini pad option (they absorb a lot of sweat but tend to irritate by rubbing since I go up and down ladders), and absolutely no jeans because the seams rub horribly. I have resorted to lidocaine cream to just numb the whole mess but at the end of the day it's pretty bad. I'm desperate for ideas on how to stay dry, get control of the pain at the end of the day, and what to use at night to balance keeping dry without being so dry in the morning that it causes tears.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Vicky,

I work outside as well in the heat. I haven't really had a lot of info or help from my pri.ary doc or gyno. I have recieved most helpful info on this post. Today I had my first appt with my dermatologist...huge difference in care. So if you are not seeing a dermatologist I suggest you do. After cleaning apply your ointment wait a couple min then apply petroleum jelly. This will protect you from wetness a help with pain. Maybe panty liners with no scent will help as well. This is a miserable thing to have but you are not alone. I finally have some hope and hope this helps some.

Jen smile

• Posted

Hi I live in the Middle East where it's very hot. I use hydromol ointment as a barrier towards sweat.

Hope this helps

• Posted

So sorry to hear that you have a lot of pain. I have had LS approx 5 years and have not had any pain, however, I don't have flare ups either. I use Clob twice a week and it seems to keep it under control. I use Estrace twice weekly as well and it just helps to keep the skin healthier.

• Posted

Your work environment is definately a challenge to be able to control LS. 

​Can you bring water for rinses with you?  It would help after every bathroom visit/porta potty visit to rinse with baking soda water.  Or borax water, something I use at present when it is hot outside.  In the evening I change to baking soda rinses again and apply coconut oil. 

​When a flare up threatens I use the Globetasol ointment, just a minimum amount.

​Every other day I sit in a baking soda bath. 

​Maintaining LS is a lot of work, unfortunately.  But when reasonably under control it is livable. 

• Posted

Forgot to mention - I cut back on sugar big time. Eat gluten free and avoid most dairy products.  It makes a sure difference.  Especially the sugar.
  • Posted

Vicky, here's my advice..

Take a special should bag to work with you which you will need to take to the bathroom every time. It should include a small bottle of water with a pinch of salt in it, 2 pairs of soft cotton pants,bottom wipes, a hand mirror, a couple of soothing creams, and baby bottom cream as well, talc or cornflour in a bag,a  soft towel.  This is your kit to use everytime you visit the bathroom.  After using bottom wipes for your IBS you will then need to carefully spray the whole area and pat dry carefully with the towel, then use the cornflour/talc sparingly to mop up any moisture.  Finally, apply any creams you need using the hand mirror..all this will take some time, but i think you need to do this every time as applying lidocaine isnt really the answer and wont help you long term.  Finally put on fresh knickers.  Creams like Desitine are good for the paper type cuts we sometimes get with LS and Emu oil is good for lubrication.  I hope this helps.

• Posted

I feel for you, Vicky.  One thing that has helped me is showering at night and don't wear any underwear to bed.  It seems to be very calming to the areas because they're "free" all night.  Maybe that would help you a bit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.