LS seems to be autoimmune disease.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Does that mean that we women are more susceptible to viruses, respiratory infections, etc.? Do most follow  a certain diet ?

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I often wonder if my having had so very many CT and MRI's for kidney stones if that has knocked down my immunity.  This all started after about 5 years of having them done so often.  Gives one thought anyway
    • Posted

I had an over active para thyroid and had to have it removed it was causing my  body to take calcium out of my bones and when it did it threw the calcium into my blood stream and then into my kidneys so stones formed.  I had problems for about 7 years and had one lasered and one lithotripsy ( sonic wave ) during that time. The problem is when they found the first kidney stone while I was in the ER they did a CT with contrast and of course there were a bunch of other things that showed up as well so I had to do follow up CT's to make sure the other spots and masses were nothing.  I probably had 4 or 5 scans in about 14 months. It just makes me wonder if all the radiation from the CT's had anything to do with my autoimmune system turning of me to cause LS. Just a thought and wondered if anyone else has had the same thought
    • Posted

Isn't thyroid an autoimmune disease too ? So maybe you devel. the thyroid problem simutanously with LS.  Your immune was messed up and these things h;appened because of it.  I hope you are doing better after all you have gone through. 
    • Posted

There does seem to be a relation between thyroid and LS...but which comes first...the chicken or the egg?  Not sure about that.  In my case my thyroid tests can back abnormal after I had LS for quite sometime.
    • Posted

Judy, it wasn't my thyroid but my parathyroid it regulates the calcium that goes into your bones. There are four of them and they removed one but come to find out that really didn't stop the excess calcium in my blood so not sure if I will get more stones or not.  I can't take calcium supplements as that adds to the the problem and so just milk and cheese needs to be at most meals so my bones don't crumble.  That's a bit off the subject but I don't think that has anything to do with the LS but the tests for the stones do make me wonder. Thanks for asking
  • Posted

I do follow a diet for medical reasons - irritable bowel syndrome - but my LS is also apparently better off because of it - so says my doctor. "My case is minor" says she. However she won't admit that my diet has anything to do with it..... LOL

The diet: whole foods only. No dairy, no wheat, no flour, limited sugar (2 fruit a day) and 2L of pure water. I would not necessarily recommend this for anybody else. This is MY body talking through the IBS and other issues I've had. My integrative practitioner does live cell microscopy on me, with which over time he's diagnosed systemic acidity, systemic yeast, dehydration. I do much better on this diet than I was doing before.

I get 'sick' very rarely. I believe the defn of an autoimmune disease is that it's the body ganging up on itself (somehow - no details in my brain - but the defn stuck)

Andrea

• Posted

One more thing that my integrative practitioner stressed. Stress! It's a factor. It comes in three forms: food that isn't right for your particular body, emotional stress, and environmental stress (pollution, noise). If you're stressed out, you're more likely get an autoimmune reaction if you're so disposed.

When my LS first flared up HUGELY, I was over the top with emotional stress - work, relationship, you name it. And I lived in Toronto at the time - pollution.

Andrea

• Posted

Thank you very much.  I am researching diets, and I plan, like you said,  to try and come up with a diet that fits me in particular.   
  • Posted

Interesting thread.

Renee that's amazing that your symptoms subsided with the diet and then came back when you let yourself go. Gives me motivation to actually give it a real shot. I was thinking of starting it but this last week have gone back to my coffees with milk and eating gluten.

I have to also add that I never get sick. Like never. I can't remember the last time I had a cold. I wonder if that's related to autoimmune.

• Posted

I believe it is autoimmune and my GP does as well. I do not believe there is a connection to diet but having said that it is worthwhile to eat a healthy diet because that affects overall health. Sugar is not good for you so limit that. Have plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables and calcium rich foods as well as protein. Research to find what vitamins and minerals are in what foods you eat.
    • Posted

Yes, diet IS the connection for many people with regard to autoimmune conditions, especially Lichen Schlerosus.  Some women that post on this site have taken the time to closely monitor their symptoms when excluding Gluten, Dairy and Sugar, and with good results!! and so its  a disappointing fact when doctors that don't suffer from this condition will tell us (women that are suffering) that there is no connection?????  It's laziness and greed unfortunately,  laziness because many doctors just aren't prepared to  keep up with the latest Medical info, and greed because they would much prefer to write a prescription for creams and pills.  

I grew up with a Mother that revered Doctors, and some of that rubs off, and so it's been a bit of a wake up call since I got sick to realize that many doctors just aren't  very  good at what they do, and so I have learned to not entrust my health to just one person now,  and have become informed with the many different health issues I now have.

• Posted

Good question Judy. At the moment I have my main consultant telling me it's an autoimmune disease but at my last appointment her colleague I presume on the same level of knowledge ? Said it wasn't! Confused ? And annoyed one was willing to share information the other (she was actually the same age roughly) gave me short shrift and basically told me to stop asking questions about further stages.Its weird the old dogmatic way of Im the professional with knowledge your just the patient still exists in the young Doctors! How frightening for those who don't challenge that attitude.Its like the old church tell it yo them piece meal from the pulpit and the congregation can't ask questions or challenge it! Scary stuff.I just hope next time I get to see the Consultant herself..meanwhile thanks for the reading tips to arm oneself with knowledge enables you to understand more and deal better with the situation.Fear is a mighty enemy of healing and some doctors sadly lack the knowledge or understanding of that.They have their own issues I suppose perhaps But two totally opposing opinions from the same consultancy is worrying.thanks again to you both .yvonne
    • Posted

I have to depend on you ladies for answers because my questions  haven't been answerd by my doctor.  She diagnpsed me without a biopsy and told me to use the cream and come back in 2 months.  I know some of you may wonder why I don't know more aout things like diet but  that's the reason.  I appreciate all your responses.   I tried  getting in to see her again but she is out of town and/or too busy ... three more weeks.  Anyway back to the autoimmune question...it seems that everything is falling apart physically.  Now with LS I just feel that more things are going to go wrong. It seems I am always fighting virus type illnesses.  Never did until the past year or so.  I am 69 and have never had any real health issues. ...partial hysterectomy, arthritis which is very irritating, but that is all.  I am afraid LS is going to cause all kinds of health issues.  I am afraid I will become really deformed, already somewhat, and I will get LS in other body areas. Having said all that I am so very thankful for the good health I have been blessed with.  I saw my mother suffer with MS for years.  Although I know there is no relation between MS and LS,  I still keep thinking about her,

and I guess I am relating this somewhat.

• Posted

There are several areas on this site that discuss LS...so search it and get onto the other discussions on this site as well.  This disease can be managed with the information you will find here.  There are tips on cleansing, treatment and diet...both form the natural/homeopathic and modern medicine approaches.  I lean towards the natural as that is what works for me...but others have been successful with going the more traditional routes with their doctors. It's mostly trial and error to see what works best for you...and how disciplined you can be with whichever route you choose. We are all looking for answers and this site has individuals of both sexes, those from all walks or life, and all ages.  It can be a great resource for you.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.