LS + thrush

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

I was recently diagnosed with LS and, fortunately for me, apparently at an early stage. I have 2 very small white patches, which I am currently treating with Dermovate according to the BAD guidelines. Physically I have been doing ok, more a nuisance than anything else for the time being, but psychologically it has hit me quite hard and, like many, I've been quite down. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I've been doing ok with the Dermovate, but in the last couple of days have started what I suspect is thrush (or a bacterial infection - hopefully not as I can't get to see the doc before next week). Had a combination of both at the beginning of July (only ever had thrush once before last summer) and so recognise the signs. To top it off, I got my period this morning as well. So I'm now putting Dermovate on the white patches and then gyno daktarin (like Canesten) on the rest and inside. 

I just wondered if anyone else has treated LS and thrush at the same time? I'm a bit worried that I'm now doomed to thrush and BVs as well as the LS for the rest of my days....

Thanks so much for any advice/insight.

I've got a thousand other LS related questions, but I'm trying not to dwell  too much, and just get on with it.

JenR

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jenr,  just a thought - I had what I think was LS , it stung like mad and nothing helped.  However, I was diagnosed with Sjogrens and PBC and in an attempt to cure myself I went off gluten - and guess what, the white patches were gone in a couple of days.  I read later that although Im not a celiac, Im gluten intolerant (on the way to being a celeiac)  Ive never had it again.  I dont know if this will help.  Kandypat
    • Posted

Dear kandypat, Thanks so much for your reply. I've been giving some thought to giving up gluten, as I've read a lot about a link with certain foods. I think I might give it a try. Thanks for the nudge smile jenr

• Posted

strange you both mention gluten,i`ve not had any bread for about 3 years,i just went off food!,but when i have tried a slice of bread,my stomach swells within minutes and i look 9 months pregnant and at age 59,its not a good look,i was tested for celiac and came back negative but wondering now with the LS maybe the test would now be positive.also i now know that my under active thyroid,which they tested at the same time is somehow linked to LS,so lots of other things can occur with LS
    • Posted

I think I'm going to give it a go. It might be worth you getting retested - I'd be interested to hear the outcome if you do. jenr
    • Posted

me again,  I think anyone with an autoimmune disease should give up

gluten - dont worry about being tested for it - you know how you feel

and you are bound to benefit in lots of ways.  Compared to what you suffer now, giving up gluten is nothing!    Kandypat

• Posted

Hi JenR,  LS is an autoimmune disease. You have to have 3 to make it a true autoimmune didease.  I have LS, arthritis, thyroid.  Here's the thing though, a little over a year ago I had to have my thyroid removed and the changes in the LS and other things aee remarkable.. I am still under the care of my oncologist with my next appt. in Sept. so I should find out more than.
  • Posted

It sounds like you have a lot to deal with at the moment eek

I had vaginal thrush, oral thrush, oral lichen planus and lichen sclerosus all at the same time last year, and I felt like killing someone (only joking)  

Some women believe that there is a strong connection between Candida (thrush) and Lichen Sclerosus.   There are oral tablets that you can buy over the counter for thrush, which work well, and if you take plenty of natural yogurt orally and vaginally you should be able to get on top of it, also look at your tongue, its something people rarely do, and if that looks a bit suspect, buy some treatment for oral thrush too.  Many women with LS avoid sugar, because its the worse thing ever for LS, and of course sugar is responsible for Candida.

• Posted

Guppy, may sound like dumb question, but is thrush the same as yeast infection? Also how do you tell the difference between thrush and LS ? How do you know when it is LS or thrush/yeast actingup?
    • Posted

Judy,Yes, thrush is the same thing as a yeast infection.  With regard to knowing the difference between LS and thrush, it's difficult, especially as everyone has different symptoms as well.  That being said, I think with thrush there is usually a strong odor with discharge, which is not usually present with Lichen Sclerosus.

What I take every day now, instead of a probiotic (because it is better for you, and its FREE is Kefir, here is an extract I cut and pasted....

What is the advantage of taking Kefir? Water kefir is a fermented beverage teeming with beneficial probiotic bacteria. It is quick and simple to prepare, and once it is brewed, absolutely delicious. Fermented products such as kefir are considered functional foods because they offer enzymes, pre-digested nutrients, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, calories/energy and billions of probiotics. Probiotic pill supplements contain just one or a select variety of bacteria, and usually that's it. It's always better to eat something in its whole form when possible, because each part makes the other more digestible. 

I make water Kefir because I cant have Dairy, but for those that can, Milk Kefir is very popular, and taking something as powerful as this twice a day should help stop yeast infections starting in the first place, which ultimately stops Lichen Sclerosus flaring for some folks.

• Posted

Kefir's good, too. I did that for awhile. Bit of work to keep yourself supplied.
    • Posted

I tend to make two large batches at once, the only problems I have encountered is with family members, who liked it and helped themselves! and so I always have a ready supply now....its really quite delicious if you add fresh ginger!
    • Posted

Thank you guppy.  I started probiotics before LS because of stomach problems I was having.  I have  not heard of Kefir but I will research it.  Drinking something good that is enjoyable is better than taking capsules.  
    • Posted

Come to thnk of it, I was making it with thin slices of fresh ginger and raisins.
    • Posted

Probiotics have also been shown to help slow or reverse some diseases, improve bowel health, aid digestion, and improve immunity! Fermented foods are good for people with stomach problems, I also make my own sauerkraut which is excellent for your gut too! Take a look at the benefits of fermented foods, because in todays diet these rich nutrients are often missing, and I think illness starts with your gut, if things go awry there, then it has a "domino effect" on the rest of your body.
    • Posted

Some really interesting pointers there, guppy. Thanks so much for sharing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.