LTHR

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

I am noe 2 weeks post surgery, but i still have stiffness as the sight of surgery is this normall?, i was hoping to be more mobile than i currently am at present as istill need to use both crutches at times.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I still feel stiffness around the surgical site too, Daffi.  REally, the whole thigh is stiff.  One of my Physio exercise is to sort of March in place, so you're lifting that knee up.  It is stiff on me, though getting better.  The other exercise where I feel it is to stand with knees together and then raise your foot behind you.  That also feels stiff but getting looser.     I think it sounds like you're doing well for just two weeks post op!  Don't push it too much -- that whole area needs time to heal!    Hugs,  Leslie

• Posted

Good morning Noe! Welcome! I too will be at 2 weeks this coming Monday. I still have stiffness and difficulty putting weight on my trhr. But from all that I been reading we are all different and all our milestones and ups & downs are different but be assured things will get better! Do your exercises and listen to your body.

• Posted

Yes I was quite stiff and using two sticks at two weeks. Do all prescribed exercises religiously and it will pay off. 

Now 5 and a half weeks. Just driven half an hour to take my mum to lunch and for a little shop. Honestly it will get better and better!

Just think you are over the worst. From now on you will see progress. 

Healing Fairy Dust being sent your way. 🌟💫

• Posted

Hi Daffi,

You didn't say whether your surgeon used the posterior, lateral or anterios approach to replacing your hip - this can very dramatically affect the recovery period as the most common approa h used (posterior) actually cuts through several types of connective tissue which help operate and hold the hip in place and the's take quite a while to heal. The activity restrictions most of have - the infamous BLT (no bending or leaning past 90 degrees and no twisting are in place to help give them time to heal and by extension to avoid dislocating your hip ever.

If your surgeon used the posterior approach (incision is made along the side and back of your hip, you should really try to view one of the videos online of this operation (look at the animated version if you are squeamish. The video wil help you understand how traumatized the hip and connective tissues are and why you should probably temper your expectations quite a bit!

Another forum member reported yesterday that she and her physiotherapist counted 20+ structures that need to heal - and they are all interconnected so that if you overdo it with one - you can affect many of the others.

Be patient ... this not a quick fix operation even if the original bone on bone pain is gone. It takes time for the healing and trying to put full weight on your hip at this stage can be really counter-productive. It is far better to put your energies into extra repeats of the exercises prescribed to you. And if you didn't get any, the resources section of this website has some great info and a quick Google will yield some top notch videos of best practices for these. You can also find excellent material on this and other related topics created by one of our forum members in a Layman's Guide to Hip Replacement. The link is shown at https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

I hope everything goes well for you.

L

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, I will certainly do some more research, the other thing to mention is i also had removed 3 cysts, a small bursitis

small amount of laceration a liberal.tear and a bone cyst. No one has discussed my recovery

• Posted

I really don't understand why there in more attention to and follow up in the recovery stage. This operation is just plain tough and (as you will see from the discussions in this forum), people have vey high expectations of how quickly they will recover and the mfrustrations after are hard to manage while managing (unfamiliar) dependency on others. If you are doing research - look at dietary recommendations. Recovery needs lots of protein, so dont stint. If your appetite is low, think about protein shakes - easy and help you ensure your protein intake. My doctor also encouraged higher intake on vitamin C, D, E and calcium.

Good luck and don't be shy about asking for advice - with members from 4 continents someone is usually online.

Cheers,

L

• Posted

PS - Daffi, do you have a follow-up appointment scheduled with your surgeon (could be 2, 4, 6 or 12 weeks depending on local practices). Mine were at 6 weeks and 5 months, but I also had physio appointments starting at 3 weeks - this was very useful for checkling issues bothering me - not to mention the help with adjusting my exercises as I improved or if encountering problems. This was covered if i got the physio where my surgery was done. But even if not covered, it is worth getting if you can afford it 🚶 as they can help focus your exercises to greatest need and ensure that you get your glutes and adductors in good shape (most important groups of muscles for recovery according to my surgeon).

I am 5 months post and working to strengthen my core even more to help with recovery from a second THR in September. It is truly worth being patient with your recovery so that you regain full function.

I hope this helps - may be rambling on too much.

L

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the reply.  My 6 week check has been cancelled "Due to unforseen circumstances" the letter says, so i have to wait a total of 9 weeks, the only physio i have to do is from the physio at the hospital, not haveing to go back for a physio check up though, which surprises me, was wondering if i should phone them and ask to be seen, I'm seeing my GP in 2 weeks time.

Sharon (Daffi)

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

This must be a 'bit' disappointing!

I believe strongly in the value of good exercise in recovering fom this surgery. So ... I would call and ask to e see by the physio deparment. Failing that, I would move up the appointment with your GP and ask for a prescription for physio. It is important to have your exercises progesterone along your recovery and ... to ensure you are doing the exercises as intended. You may well be getting benefit anyway, but not always to the group of muscles that most need the workout.

And a quick Google will yield some excellent videos for pre and post THR exercise. Another forum member also talked about isometric exercises which I will look up as well.

As important as the exercise perhaps, appointment with a physio can motivate and provide huge moral support.

Big hugs,

L

• Posted

Yikes - auto correct did quite a number on this post! It is important for exercises to 'progress' along your recovery.

And if you see a PT - ask them to check if your IT band needs work - it is often the culprit behind stiffness and swelling behind or along the knee (it is a connective tissue that runs from the hip to just below the knee and it often tightens up as mobility reduces before and after surgery. It can be quite painful to touch and the therapy for it is simple but hard because of this. But it can make a huge difference to pain levels and mobility if addressed).

Good luck.

L

• Posted

Hi, I'm three weeks post LTHR and yes pretty stiff but my advice would be to persevere with the exercises as they really do help me loosen up! Don't push yourself too much, just work through the stiffness, every day sees a tiny (really small)improvement but they are there. Good luck with your recovery, xx janine

• Posted

Hi Daffi:

This sounds so familiar. Yes the stiffness takes a while and like all of us the shock of not being "as mobile as we thought we would be" really sets in about this time. This is also the point when I became very depressed. Tired of being unable to move well, and tired of having to depend on someone to help me still....It is all normal though. So many of us are not informed well as what to expect and the reality of how slow the progress really is in recovering from thr....Hope this helps...Barb

• Posted

Hi daffi,  warm welcome to our forum of hippies ..from the responses you know now that it is very normal to feel stiffness or soreness, maybe there is some swelling - you just had major surgery darling - no, there is hardly any information on recovery post-op THR surgery except for the generic ones - do your excercises, keep the restrictions and that is pretty much it - I didn't know how to sit on the toilet, get the toiletpaper etc --- our expectations are pretty high because we have been told that this is just a "procedure" and you will be up and walking in no time ...healing takes place at its own time - 2 weeks is very early on in this process -be gentle with yourself - easy does it - all is well big warm hugrenee please come back anytime okay -- 

• Posted

Hi We are all different in the way we heal. It can take up to 6 weeks if not longer to get back to normal after a major op. Once you have the stitches out then you will feel better, also Hydrotherapy will help lovely warm water is very relaxing. Hope this helps. Good luck regards Amanda H
  • Posted

Stiffness can last for ages - at 6 months post revision, I still get some stiffness when I overdo the walking as I commute to/from London.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.