Lumbar degeneration and osteoporosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

My GP just gave me a form that she signed for me to get a disabled parking spot when out and about and she wrote that I had lumbar degeneration.

I guess I had not thought that about myself. I have trouble walking very far or sitting.

I do manage the pool exercises but not in a regimented class rather on my own with ones taught specifically to me.

I have mild scoliosis which I assumed I just got recently but reading online that does not seem likely.

I hope everyone is travelling well and look forward to comments and discussion.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathleen

sorry to hear you have problems walking too far. At least your parking disc should make life easier.

Keep positive and continue to exercise when you are able.

• Posted

Thanks Mary the pool is good and I do many exercises that use resistance to build muscle and also step ups using the pool steps.

The pool is good in that there is no risk of falling.

• Posted

I recently read this encouraging fact - that walking downstairs helps bone strength!  (Going upstairs is good for cardio health).  Apparently the greater impact as you go down is what encourages the osteoblasts to make more bone!
    • Posted

.... but I'm getting quite giddy going up stairs, turning round, going down stairs, turning round........ oh well 10000 steps today so guess I can stop now!!!!!

If one has advanced osteoporosis a sense of humour is essential!!

• Posted

I would laugh were that not so true!  Anyway all I meant was, you could feel good about walking downstairs, even if you don't want to climb them and take the elevator later...cheesygrin
    • Posted

That makes sense because my husband has always said he finds it harder going down than walking up stairs. 

His bones are that of a 30 year old but he does have some arthritis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.