Lumbar fusion surgery #2

Posted , 6 users are following.

So i had lumbar fusion at L5-S1 in January of this year. Been in severe pain since. They gave me an epidural cortisone injection 2 weeks ago and it almost trippled my pain. Now i'm going for another fusion surgery tomorrow morning. They will fuse L4 along with L5-S1. My last MRI said that i had a 12mm instability at L5-S1 and severe nerve pinching between L5-S1 so he said that he will have to remove that vertebrae. Did i hear right or am i not understanding what he meant. If it is right, how will my spine ever be free of instabilities? Any thoughts?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Can you get other opinions? Have you been thru physio ? 

I have same issues and do stretching and pt to stay in condition. 

• Posted

Yes i've been through physio and my therapist stopped my sessions because i was such in pain.

• Posted

Ask for pain injections to help get thru the struggles. Then stretched to help stregthen the core muscles baby steps. 

Also ask about stem cell therapy and research othe treatments and other clinics that are available to you. 

• Posted

There are cases of people that have come out of surgeries in better shape than when they went in and there are cases where it has made things worse. I've had 4 epidurals in my neck and none have helped at all. The issue I'm seeing now, following my neck surgery 10 years ago, is that it is where things start to go wrong and they catch up. Bone spurs, ughh. Mine clips on my spinal cord every time I look to the left or right. I would suspect that what your neurosurgeon meant was that he was going to replace your vertebrae. I couldn't imagine leaving it empty and suspended by rods. Let me know how that comes out. As for me, I am with the va. Can't afford quality healthcare so I'm pretty much done. Good luck.

• Posted

I'm really sorry to hear about yoir condition. I know that the line of work i do as a truck and coach mechanic since the age of 20 and i'm not 40 hasn't helped my situation at all. I've been off of work now for 2 years and 3 months. My quality of life is also down the tubes. I've been cooped up at home all this time trying to recuperate and it just doesn't seem to improve. I will post another discussion post op in the next fee days. Thank you for your reply and i wish you only the best! Cheers!

• Posted

Please watch the medical video, RE; Lower Back Pain,  by Dr. Shanre Burch, a back spine surgeon with the Univ. of Calif medical school...It's very informative...It's posted on Youtube....Do a Google Search to locate...GOOD LUCK!......

• Posted

A rheumatologist can also treat back instability with demands and new biological drugs developed for many of the issues you describe. 

See online and ask a rhumb in your area. 

• Posted

i have cercical bulging disc, had it for some yrs now, i have so far opted out of surgey, because of these kind of stories,but am thinking seariously about having it done,,, i hear that once you have it done, every few yrs it may need to be done again, i would also say get another opinion before doing another surgery, i have had 7 surgerys since 07, none related to my spine, but after oral cancer my cervical issues became a big issue, but all i get so far from 3 sergeons is after having radiation and several surgerys in my mouth, neck they won't touch it, i'm still looking for a spine surgeon to take on my neck. my surgeon for my hand is also a spine  surgeon, i plan to talk about it at my next appt. i had my thumb joint replaced and carpal done in may this yr. thats a slow recovery process. anyhow even if the next surgeon says the same thing, 2 heads are better than one. i hope you get relief soon. any pain sucks.

• Posted

Its too late now but I would not get that surgery. Back pain is caused from mechanical load 95 % of the time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.