Lumbar Puncture tomorrow.. what's it like?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I have a suspected diagnosed of IIH and I'm having a lumbar puncture tomorrow so they can measure the pressure and confirm the diagnosis.

Has anyone on here had a LP before? What can I expect? I'm pretty nervous sad

Also, does it help with the headaches and eye pain?

Thanks in advance!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

I had a CT guided lumbar puncture which was fine. I've heard some 'non-guided' can be a little less fine. Hope it all goes smooth for you today.

• Posted

Thanks guys, the procedure itself when fine but the recovery afterwards has been a nightmare. I had it last Tuesday and I'm still stuck in bed now with awful headaches and back pain. I will never have another one again because of the recovery process

• Posted

OMG!! I am so sorry when I had my first one, it was done by a stupid resident. When I say stupid I don't mean it lightly. He had to stick me three times to actually get the fluid then it took almost an hour for them to get what they needed. Now I have them every month due to my health conditions. As a matter of fact I have one this Tuesday. But mine is called a high volume LP. They take a whole lot.

• Posted

I hope I never need another one! I feel sorry for you!

The dr that some mine got it first time but she had to do it with me sitting up as she said she couldn't find the place when I was lying down and she said that made it worse.

My pressure was 31.5 and she removed 8ml. I'm just getting back to normal now.

I had an app with my neuro today and they said the swelling on my optic nerves has gone down. Do you think it will just build back up?

• Posted

Well the reason I get them is because it helps with the eye pain and pain in general. I had IIH but after my last surgery my surgeon said I just have IH. It's caused by the narrowing of my veins and vessels in my brain. I have about 13 inches of metal because of it In my brain.

Your body will remake the spinal fluid they took just depends on how fast it does.

• Posted

Hi hun im monae it not that scary i have had 17 and if u get sudated it will be like blinking your eyes and the minor i cant tell you about the experience unsudated because I never had it that way

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.