Lump in throat and reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Been with reflux for quite some time - 15 years more or less - and currently on Nexium 20mg daily. Have the feeling of a lump in the throat, especially after eating. Sometimes even after drinking water. Read that this could be from acid reflux. I get some times a sore throat and a coarse voice but this looks to be different. Have you had a similar experience? Could be a flare up? Normally when a flare up occurs I get pain above the diaphragm area or in the right chest. Bu this?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Spiros,

The symptoms you describe are typical reflux symptoms. Nexium is a PPI drug that reduces acid, so any reflux is less dangerous, but it may not reduce the reflux itself.

The lump in the throat feeling is probably globus, experienced by 50% of those with reflux and hoarseness was reported by 70% of those with reflux.

See the chapter on Extra-oesophageal reflux in the www DownWithAcid org uk book / website.

• Posted

Hi Spiros

15 years is a very long time, I was hoping that I would get sorted out quickly but it would appear not. I live consistently with a painful throat and also the feeling of a lump there. I have recently changed medication which actually makes me feel quite ill and leaves me with a pain in my stomache. I have had an Endoscopy and a nasal camera (can't remember what this is called) and have been told that it is Silent Reflux, whatever it is it is very painful. Due to see Dr again tomorrow to hopefully change the tablets.

All the best to you

• Posted

Problem with any reflux ("Silent Reflux", like LPR is one of the many terms for what is correctly described as extra-oesophageal reflux.) is drugs don't really manage it other than making t less harmful and reducing the burning sensation.

I suffered with reflux all my life. I recall events from when I was 3 or 4 which I now know to have been from reflux - and I'm 68 now. It was 8 years ago, when I'd had enough that I asked for and got a fundoplication (reflux reduction surgery) that gave me my life back.

• Posted

So, how is life 8 years after the surgery? I read that symptoms may come back. Are you out of meds? How about your diet? Thanx beforehand for any info.
    • Posted

I use no meds. I eat what I like - though am careful and do not overeat.

The fundoplication was the best thing I ever did. Unfortunately it came loose a couple of years ago following 5 hours violent retching with norovirus and I had Collis-Nissen revision surgery to repair it.

My story may be read on my personal website: www ChrisRob co uk by clicking on the Barrett's tab.

• Posted

I can't remember what I started on but this was changed to Lansoprazole Orodispersible 30mg which caused me some problems so now I have been prescribed Esomeprazole 40mg supplemented by Co-codamol to help relieve pain. I live in hope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.