Lung exercises + emphysema

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

Could someone tell me if respiratory muscle exercises prove of great benefit to someone with mild emphysema please?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Ihi I'm 54 level4 copd 37% lung capacity I'm cycling nw doing 20miles every other day fight it

• Posted

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. COPD information | Patientpatient.info/health/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-leafletThe most important treatment is to stop smoking. ..... Studies have shown that people with COPDwho exercise regularly tend to improve their breathing, ease ...

https://patient.info/health/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-leaflet

• Posted

Thanks Vee2 for replying.

I am thinking of the type of exercises to open the chest and strengthen the muscles in particular.

The ones I've found on youtube are concentrating on arms/chest exercise to help lung function?

I have mobility problems so decent walking/cycling is no longer possible and I gave up smoking nearly 3 years ago, but want to do what I can to improve my capacity.   Is thatpossible?

• Posted

Yes its well documented exercise will help lung conditions and health generally.

As to whether it will improve your capacity that would remain to be seen. It would depend on if you are doing the exercises correctly and how often you do them etc.    It may pay you to ask your GP for a referral to a pulmonary rehabilitation programme, you will learn much about managing COPD and get a good idea on what sort of exercises will help to boot, all PR exercise training can be done seated as can many COPD exercise programmes that can be found on you tube.  Another option is referral to a physiotherapist for exercise guidance.

Most all forms of exercise use the diaphragm muscles, exercising these muscles will make breathing more efficient, its important for all to exercise as best they can.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.