Lung Lavage to treat Sarcoidosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I meet someone who was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis when she was in her early fifties and her doctor performed a Lung Lavage( washing of the lungs with a saline solution) and placed her on steroids for a year and it has been over 20 years since her encounter and the disease basically never showed it`s awful face again. 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kenny

Very interesting. Could the solution be that easy?

I hope so it would save suffers the pain of current treatments.

Have you go more details you could share with us all?

My surname is Kenny...is that your first name or last name?

Regards

Tangles

Phil Kenny

• Posted

Hello Phil sorry for the late reply.

Kenny is my first name. I live in Toronto ON. Canada.

Diagnosis: pulmonary Sarciodosis (2011)

Well, I am a bit disappointed. Could not locate this Doctor that performed the "washing of the lungs" whole lung lavage on this lady I met. He could be retired.. it's been over 20yrs since..

Been suffering from "acute oxygen starvation" breathlessness. If I  walk 30 feet, climb a few stairs or walk up any incline, continuous coughing and serious shortness of breath overcomes me.

On Prednisone over 2yrs. not working for me. besides giving me a "big belly" I was 175lbs now close to 200lbs. 

Asked my respirologist for a 2nd opinion, he sent me to a pulmonologist, did walk test, and breathing test and “what ever” test . told me I would need a lung transplant. decided not to see him again. Jan 2016 was suppose to be my return visit.

This pulmonologist confirmed my diagnosis as Sarc. and told me that "whole lung lavage" was not the treatment for SARC. wanted me to try "Methotrexate" or something to that effect.

I am lost for word to describe the feeling of helplessness this disease has impose on me. willing to try "anything" now. 

I do get some relief when I drink, so I have been drinking heavy now. “You can see me with a bottle of single malt as a insignia of my plight”  I am now hearing of this drug LDN (low dose naltraxone) that some people claim to have worked for their pulmonary SARC... problem is that doctors would not  prescribe it for treating SARC. In North America it was approved for the treatment of alcoholism.. so now that I am an alcoholic, I will ask for a prescription to treat my alcohol dependency and hopefully this LDN will help my SARC.  Sounds like a paradox “ cure for my alcoholism might be a cure for my SARC.”

• Posted

Hi Kenny

Bronchoalveolar lavage (see wiki article) was used in the past mainly as a diagnostic tool in autoimmune lung disease. The epithelial cells washed out could be examined under the microscope.

Technology has moved on and EBUS endobronchial ultrasound now allows biopsy of the swollen hilar lymph nodes.

There are rare conditions where BL is used with some success, but i suspect in your friends case it was the steroids what done it!

Newton

• Posted

Good luck on your quest Kenny

I read those links, but I have to say that I think the Daily Mail is the very last place in the world that you should go to for accurate medical information. It is a sensationalist rag.

After 18 months of steroids I can walk up a hill again and I wish you the same level of recovery

Newton

• Posted

Hi Newton,

Were you on Prednisone for a year and a half? I am assuming you had pulmonary sarc? Pred, works for some and does much more damage to others. Sarc/Pred. caused me to be boarderline diabetic, I am not blaming the steroids since I have very limited mobilty pulmunary sarc and I have gained over 25lbs becaused on this. I was 80% better than I am not before my introduction to Steroids. Well You never know the outcome but time will dictate..

Thanks for the encouragement.

Regards,

Kenny.

• Posted

Hi Kenny,

Iv'e never heard of Lung Lavage, but if it really works, i think that all of us need to ask our Dr about that procedure. Do you know if it's an invasive procedure or a simple one? And does it require hospitalization or outpatient? The best to your healed friend. I know she must be very happy to be free of the burden of sarcoidosis.

Sarcnomore

• Posted

Hello Pearlie,

Firstly see links posted above for the lung lavage procedure.. It would appear that in our current medical arena "lung lavage" is not being used to treat Pulmonary Sarcoidosis anymore.. 

Kenny

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.