Lupus a possibility?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is it possible to have Lupus without any joint pain, rashes or swelling. The only Lupus symptom I seem to have is the weakness or fatigue, I have had extensive blood tests and been told that my ANA test is 'weak positive' but all the other immunoglobulin tests were normal.

I thought it was Chronic Fatigue and was about to be referred to the fatigue clinic but now im not sure.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sorry something went a bit wrong there! Was going to advise you to call Vasculitis UK who have a free helpline. These diseases have odd payterns. I jave Behcet's which is similar. Sone people have lots of symptoms some only have eye symptoms for example. I would ask their advice if you are in the UK. If in the states thr Vasculitis Foundation there woild be helpful.

• Posted

Hi Eleanor,

I would definitely check out the chronic fatigue clinic. Depending on your level of fatigue they should be able to determine if you suffer from this. It's important to manage fatigue and they will give you helpful hints on this.  I have suffered from fibromyalgia for 25 years and have chronic fatigue. You definitely learn your limits on how much you can do in a day, especially if you are still working full time. I also have the ebstein barr virus which definitely gives you fatigue if you have a flare-up. Stress is the worst trigger for both of these conditions. I also had weak-positive ANA test many years ago but recentlly I was diagnosed with discoid lupus of the skin. It's important to remember that if you have any autoimmune disease you wear sunscreen and a hat, even in winter months. It was the epstein barr virus that triggered my lupus. I would continue to have regular bloodwork done just in case your ANA levels change.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Rose

Disod Luupus of the skin  can be the scalp or the body

• Posted

Hi Rose,

It is looks like scaly, disk-like plaques on scalp, face and ears that cause pigmentary changes, scarring and hair loss.The most common symptom is a circular rash. The rash varies from a mild pinkness, often brought out by ultra-violet (UV) light, to a florid lumpy and disfiguring rash, which comes and goes. It is a feature of active disease and usually disappears as the disease goes into remission. There is thickening of the skin and a scaliness, which often becomes red and 'angry'. Scalp involvement (including itchiness, redness and peeling) may be very prominent and patches of baldness may occur. Frequent sites are the face, the V-neck area, and the ears. 

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Yes it does help alot thats prob why my immunologist asked if i was losing hair that is not what i have thank you for your help take care
    • Posted

Not everyone with Lupus has rash or hair loss. Only possible symptoms in a long list sadly x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.