Lymphoma query for 20 year old

Posted , 4 users are following.

I need help!!

Just turned twenty and for the past few months have been unintentionally loosing a lot of weight, I have a swollen cervical lymph node, sore spleen, reoccurring utis, night sweats, and got a FBC and came back borderline low lymphocytes and borderline low eosinophils. It has taken me months to finally convince my gp to do something about it and finally got an urgent appointment to general medicine.

I work in the cytology lab so work around people being told awful news on a daily basis and to say I am terrified is an understatement. I know my symptoms could be something else but I'm scared its lymphoma, I work with brilliant histopathologist, cytologists and their concern has been growing about me. What do I do? Anyone any ideas what else this good be? I've been screened for myeloma, it's clear, glandular fever, clear, ultrasound clear, I had my appendix removed January this year and have never been right since, I thought the weight loss was due to recovery but have lost two and a half stone since February. I am now classed as underweight.

Please help!!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I do know that under nutrition can cause you low lymphocytes.  Your spleen could just be aggrivated and working harder since the surgery....how do you know it is swollen?  Did a Dr. tell you that?  If they did..they should have told you why.

Also the swollen glands...or gland..can be from anything...even a little sore in  your mouth..or your body is just tryinhg to fight something.

Your young...you will be ok... I'm sorry you are so upset about all this...Stress also causes weight loss.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply.

Well this is the problem, I feel full all day everyday so have to force myself to eat to keep my strength up, but it's cause a lot of pain doing this. I try eat high calorie and healthy things at these times but doesn't help.

Yea my doctor said but was unsure what was causing it. He said he could explain it isn't bloods came back high white blood cells but they were actually lower than normal for me. He basically doesn't have a clue what's going on. Crohns and all that have been ruled out and I'm at the end of my wits!

Everyone says you just need to eat more but I physically can't I get to a point where a vomit cause my stomach presses on my spleen!!

• Posted

You should try eating smaller meals....more frequently during the day.

Do you eat yogurt? Do you drink alot of water?

Lower your stress by taking walks.

Drinking water will actually help many things and also make you feel more hungry.   I also read that being hydrated (with water) will make your spleen happy.

• Posted

Yeah that's what I've been doing lately. Drink a lot of water and try to eat small and frequently but doesn't seem to help as my weight still drops. The node in my neck has been increasing in size slowly, and fatigue and exhaustion prevents from being able to do anything.
    • Posted

Removing an organ from your body...puts alot of strain on other organs.

The spleen and glands..filter blood and fight infection.

you say that you have "boarderline" blood counts.  If they are in the range...you are safe and presumed healthy. 

It sounds like the field you are working in is causing you health anxiety.  On a daily basis....something hurts in my body.  I always think I have cancer...etc.  But always get back the good blood results.

Maybe try not to focus (easy to say)...on these things so much and go about your life as IF you are healthy.  Anxiety causes so many symptoms that we are not aware of....Stress and anxiety CAUSE symptoms.

Try to tell yourself that you are over playiing these things in your mind and making things worse.  For one day....try not to focus on what is wrong with you but what is RIGHT with you...and see if that helps.

• Posted

Yeah I understand. I have been trying to just focus on other things which I have been. Currently planning my wedding and doing up a house to live in. It has helped calm my nerves and worry, and venting has helped in able to say my worries and then I'm able to rationalise them a bit. What's getting to me is this unknown, something isn't right but I don't know what. Whether it's a virus or just an infection. Which is the most likely cause but I still worry because my colleagues did tell me possibilities as they've been looking at my test results. Thank you for the help
    • Posted

Oh...Weddings cause a great amount of stress...even good stress can affect our bodies.

Stress good or bad...affects our immune system.  Part of your immune system as you know is your spleen and your glands.

Makes sense to me that all your symptoms have been checked....blood tests basically normal and you are under stress.....

• Posted

Well that's what I thought but timeline doesn't fit, my symptoms started beginning of the year only got engaged in August. So only really been recently planning things ha. I'm hoping it is just something small that's out of control like an infection just wish they would find what's wrong
  • Posted

I was diagnossed with Hodgickison Lymphoma in May last year and went through chemotherapy and was supposed to have been given Radiotheraphy but said no. You might wonder why I said no but I just could not imagine going through the regime again. I did not just go home and wait, had to change all my diet and became a vegan over night. I cut off sugar, too much carbohydrates and red meat but stopped taking chicken as well. Its amazing how that helped me and now having a second lease of life. I feel energised. Lets talk more some other time. Wish you a quick recovery .

Good health

Selina 

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis but glad your on the road to recovery.

If you mind my asking, was it obvious straight away what was wrong? Like did your bloods show it? I have my appointment tomorrow after work so hopefully get more tests and a few more answers. They haven't told me what else they're querying but I asked about lymphoma and they said it's something they were considering.

Thanks you for sharing your story. Reassures me that you were able to get through it and feel better after.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.