Lyrica for anxiety 75mg twice a day

Posted , 39 users are following.

Started on the above 10 days ago. First capsule i took i was asleep not long after, woke up feeling in a daze, doctor advised me to have one a day for few days. I have been taking two a day for 8 days. In this time, i have fell downstairs twice, developed a rash, past two days have had an intense pain above my right eye, not as bad as a migraine, but definately more than a headache, im not due to see Dr until another two weeks.. Hopefully the side effects will go as time goes on. I am also taking sertaline with these, i must admit i feel more like a zombie than alive lol. Guess im posting to see if anyone has used both before ? how did you feel?

Thank you

2 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Give the Lyrica time, I had the sleepy issues for the first few weeks but after time it went away, just an adjustment period. I take 75mg 3x daily and each level from one a day to three a day took an adjustment period. I hear horror stories about Lyrica, all over the net, maybe I'am the lucky one. I take Zoloft and Lorazepam for anxiety and panic attacks, haven't had a single attack after being on Lyrica for about two weeks, and no longer take the Lorazepam. I also take Ropinerole for restless leg, haven't had an episode for weeks and no longer take the RLS meds. I am 54 years old with diabetic neuropathy, I can play guitar again after 10 years of not being able to manage a fret board for more than two minutes. I sleep like I was 16 again, and the only issue is I wake just like a 16 year old again, (which means I don't wan't to wake up !) For me Zoloft was a wonder drug for my anxiety, Lyrica is a wonder drug for me in SO many areas,

(Just ask my wife, she thinks I'am like frisky 16 year old again evil Like I said the side effects for are near zero other than the drowsiness at each dosage increase, which took me a week to get each time, but now, hey I'am dancing and the neuropathic pain/anxiety/rls is almost 90 percent better, including my ED issue from taking setraline. Hang in there, it works.

• Posted

thanks for writing this.. what is your dosage of sertraline?
    • Posted

Hi Grey, sorry for posting so late but I currently take lorazepan and have been prescribed pregablin can you take the two together as it says not to in the patient information
  • Posted

I take Pregabalin for ME/fibromyalgia. I have to say it's a marvellous drug for me. I've gone from being nearly bed/housebound, to being able to enjoy 1 - 2 hours per day, approx 4 days a week.

I started very slowly (25mg twice daily), and built up to 250mg per day. from my own experince I would say anything over 25mg increase at a time will probably cause a reaction. I tried increasing by 50mg, and felt most odd! Dopey, spacey and not at all 'with it'.

I didn't experince the increased/better sleep as grey mentioned. I don't sleep well at all, even with the Pregabalin..but that's all part of ME/fibro.

I would love to hear from anyone else with the same condition as me...it feels very lonely here at times!

• Posted

I have recently been put on Lyrica for chronic pain and fybromagila for about six months now. The past month I have had increasing heel pain. I can only assume its from the increase up to now 75mg twice daily. I do not sleep well and I am also taking Norco for pain and Ambein for sleep. You are not alone. There are many out the that may not know when to check out forums to see if maybe the one person will answer. I have also started having Migraine too rolleyes 

Well hope to hear back, I see its been seven months since you posted.

• Posted

Heather:

Still here and for you, positive thoughts and prayers for you

Grey...smile

• Posted

Hi Rebecca have just joined the site have fribro and anxiety been feeling so alone have been taken pregabalin and have been struggling with it weird feelings zippeas
  • Posted

Oh My Gosh Rebbeca, for the ten thousandth time, Lyrica is NOT an approved medication for Anxiety/GAD.  Get off it, and if the Setraline doesn't work, ( for me it is 98+ percent effective) ask your doctor to add Abilify, or switch to Cymbalta.

Nuff Said, No More Lyrica...

• Posted

Hi you say don't take lyrica for GAD, I can see you are getting frustrated by it not being approved (worried by that) I'm on it (25mg twice a day) for that it's been 14days, upped the dose to double a week ago. I also have pain from a trapped nerve. I've come out in Urticaria from it down my legs. Its helping with the anxiety though.  I've just googled "Abilify" says it's an antipsychotic.  I was prescribed Quietipine by a psychiatrist along with Mirtazipine. I refused the antipsychotic & the Mirt gave me an allergic reaction. My Gp says Quietipine is a mood stabiliser. I think they are just as bad if not worse with the list of side effects?? Never heard of "Cybalta" either. I've had Sertraline - Zoloft as you call it, before & it didn't help much. Gave me mouth ulscers, terrible abdominal pain, myalgia, sleep problems. I tend to find SSRIs give me problems. Prozac gave me bad insomnia, Citalopram made me unable to function, Seroxat a few years ago made me sick & clench my jaw. Feeling at a loss with it all. They give this Lyrica if SSRI don't work. Do you think a mood stabiliser is better then?
    • Posted

Dinky_Dee:

Yes, I get frustrated.  Lyrica, like many medications have primary uses and off label uses.  Lyrica for GAD has not been FDA approved, and the clinical trial information for its use for GAD has been small and scant, an unverfied efficacy.  Yes, Abilify is an off label use for GAD, but, has been soundly proven in clinical trials as an adjunct to GAD medications in small doses.  Cymbalta is an excellent drug with a very long history as to its effectiveness.  It is an SSNRI and proven for many depression and anxiety uses. I both love and hate Phizer for there many wonderful meds, they have created many very useful meds, but at the same time push physicians into prescribing medications not suitable for patient optimal efficacy.  I wish you well, and sorry about your medication allergies and side effects, I have been very lucky so far...

• Posted

Hi thanks for the reply. I've had to stop this Lyrica completely. Back to square one & now another health issues to research. I can't find much on here just wish those people posting about bad reactions would come back on & share their experiences & findings. I've found an allergy group on facebook so I'll ask people there too. I did ask my GP about Cymbalta but he didnt know what i was talking about. I dont want to keep putting my body through all these bad reactions & all the doctors do it prescrive a different one. This "not in numbers" says it all though, only 1 in 4 are expected to get better on the drug. I read somewhere that a viral infection can make your body sensitive & i did have Flu back in November so maybe that's why. Maybe I just need a big detox & organic food. 
    • Posted

I'am sorry to you for the mess in your in.  Please stay away facebook, your not likely to get the proper information.  As far as stopping Lyrica, go slow.  Bad reactions to Lyrica?  I've had some really bad reactions to the med in the first two months, spaced out, depersonilization, hallucinations, but all subsided after 8 weeks.  Keep on your GP about Cymbalta, remember this, Pfizer has reps pushing Lyrica, (in the states this med cost about $500 to $1000 a month.) it's the new thing, but not the right thing.  Good Luck dinky_dee   .....evil
    • Posted

Thanks for your kind words. I was on it 14 days & have stopped it because the rash on my legs is too painful, had a swollen tongue last week too. Saw a good doctor yesterday he's new to the practice & said I need to be chemical free for a couple of weeks to let my body recover. then maybe try a differnt drug. It's all made my anxiety go up massively. I'm going to write a letter of complaint to the practice because the previous doctors didn't put the allergic reactions on my medical record. Another anxiety inducing fear that doctors don't listen or care. I was getting some of the rare severe side effects on the list, 1 in 1000 uncmmon ones. I found it increased my derealisations too. I don't mind being spaced out so much, it was taking the edge off my anxiety but not the right chemicals for my body. It is an expensive one! 

The facebook groups are just general chat & help with support when I've not got many people around me.

• Posted

Actually I think you will find that where SSRIs and SNRIs don't work, the next advised port of call for GAD (in UK NHS etc) is pregabalin. http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condition=Anxiety&medicine=pregabalin. Different people have anxiety for different reasons. This results in different biochemical problems. No trial takes this into account. Therefore for us (many) people for whom SSRIs and SNRIs (I have had about 12 different types) DO NOT WORK, pregabalin is a valuable backup method. After that is antipsychotics at low doses. I was put straight onto quetiapine (antipsychotic) without trying pregabalin due to a mixup. Even breaking up the lowest dose into quarters (12.5 mg) I still feel slight calming effect, massively reduced OCD urges, but the side effects for me of swollen throat, glands, face, terrible earache, difficulty breathing, will not stop. I previously had a much higher dose but then was also a zombie and gained tonnes of weight (very noticeable on a petite erson). So I wish I had tried pregabalin first. And I WILL be trying it. If it is better than quetiapine, I will stay on it. Don't let people who don't comprehend that SSRIs and SNRIs are BAD for some individuals talk you off the alternatives without finding out for yourself if they work for you.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, I was reading this forum and starting to get worried.

I just had my first dose of preg last night (50mg) hoping finally this is something that will control my anxiety so that I can have a social life again.

I also take 20mg of citalopram, I tried many many other drugs over the course of over a year and found the very first i tried (cit) to be the best for me. It just helps with the anxiety, takes away those moments where you feel like you could collapse.

Fingers crossed that preg now lets me have a life again =)

• Posted

Because of other medications i cannot take ssri or snri. So i have been prescribed lyrica as augment to mirtazapine which i cannot take increased dose.  My limitations for anxiety meds are low.  How would you proceed?
    • Posted

I was on cymbalta it was no good for me,I'm now on paroxetine 20mg,and it is working for depression and anxiety,I was just put on lyrica 75mg twice a day,I'm not sure how i feel cause I just started today. Good luck I wish u well. Becareful with cymbalta it made me more depressed and more anxiety,just my experience,might work differently for you.

• Posted

Lyrica and Gabapentin work great for anxiety don't knock what works , unless u been there anxiety is a living hell and if something works GO FOR IT and if your Dr says it's a go follow your Drs ordered NUFF SAID!!!! smile

• Posted

He needs to quit worrying about it being approved it doesn't matter it's about what works and helps and what your Dr says he needs to get over it SMH

• Posted

Hi I too am on Lyrica, 300mg twice a Day. I take Lexapro for Depression, Valium for Anxiety and Severe Panic Attacks and Agoraphobia also I take Sodium Valproate for Mood Stabilisers. The Lyrica has Helped me so much I have started going out of the house (I have to have someone with me) I was on a smaller dose at first but wasn't doing much so I am up to the highest Dosage in Australia I actually feel More Alive when I take it

With My Depression i would sit on the lounge thinking stupid thouts I also Have lower back pain and take Kapanol for it and I'm actually thinking of going off the Kapanol as the Lyrica actually helps my Back I think I rattle when I walk now lol. My Doctor reckons that we are going to have to get a authority script soon! It helps lots of People and Yes it does have some side effects but they get better after a While. I just felt Drunk for a couple of weeks but I don't know I'm actually starting to love again after a 23yr Battle I was given Serequel for Anxiety and Severe Panic Attacks by a Psychiatrist and I was a Zombie. I hated it But I don't feel like that now on the Lyrica so just give it time and you will feel better Maybe you will end up with a Higher Dose like Me. Good Luck 😉

• Posted

Error lol Starting to Live again not Love again lol 😉

• Posted

OMG!! Yes You sound like me Give the Lyrica a Go It has got me out of my house (Jail Cell) Good Luck with it I has Changed my life and I am never going to stop taking it I actually feel alive on it and I have been battleing Everything for 23 yrs It works for me so I'm sticking to it It is Just Amazing and you will Get your social life back Cheers from Australia 😊

• Posted

Hi I've be on Lyrica from April they started me on 50mg every 4 months l have been on 300mg for 6 weeks the last week they have stop working for me .ive been to the doctors today he said totake 100mg in the morning and afternoon then in the evening 150mg . How long did it take you to get to 600mg?and did you get any side effects.

• Posted

Can i ask how you are getting on with it I've just been on it a week but got awful headaches xx

• Posted

hi how did you get on with this? the side effects have been hard for me, dizzyness etc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.